Regular Contributor

Just check on the America's Test Kitchen website - this book is the same price, but shipping is 1/2 the cost of QVC. For the cheapest shipping, delivery is 2-3 weeks - SAME AS QVC'S APRIL 8TH. Save some money and order from that website.

Super Contributor

Re: Cooking for Two cookbook

You can always do better on books ordering direct or on Amazon than ordering from Q. No sales tax, and most times, free shipping. If you order through Amazon, you get delivery in one or two days AND for many books, when you purchase a hard copy book, you get the Kindle edition either for free, or at a greatly reduced price.

This book does have me wonder. Why would anyone need a cookbook for two? Didn't need one when there were two of us, and need less now that I'm cooking for one. Because I actually cook REAL meals, and being lazy, when I cook, I prefer to make enough for several meals, freeze and vacuum seal for another day.

Having at least a 3rd grade education (when we learned fractions), I also find it simple to divide already tried and true recipes and cook in either a loaf pan, a 6 X 9 pan or individual casseroles.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I can still calculate fractions. What do you do with a 1/2 can leftover of whatever liquid? I don't care to have food in the freezer too long, so I am treating myself to new recipes. Glad your method works for you.

Super Contributor

Sorry - didn't mean that personally, just generally.

Have never had that happen. If I open a box of stock or a large container of half & half and only use a cup or so and don't plan on using more over the next few days, I just snap the top back on and put in the freezer for another time. I use tomato paste in a tube; otherwise, I put the leftover from the can in small zip lock bag and freeze.

(You find that ATK recipes rarely use cans of anything; neither do I). When something calls for frozen peas, I take out a package of frozen asparagus spears, and slice enough while frozen into little rounds; rest of package goes back in the freezer for another day. I don't LIKE peas in ANYTHING.

I rarely have the same thing for lunch or dinner more than once, maybe twice a month. When I make a pizza, I LIKE leftovers. Pizza for breakfast is GOOD!{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

When I make steel cut oats, I make enough for at least 3 or 4 breakfasts that week. Most of the things I make for multiple meals are time consuming things like pot pies, lasagne, manicotti, sauces, stews, mac & cheese, scalloped potato dishes and the like.

I brown 2 - 3 pounds of Italian sausage at a time and freeze flat to add to things like individual ravioli 'lasagna', pasta sauce. 6 pounds of crockpot carmelized onions frozen the same way to add to a potato casserole or make French onion soup. I cook 2 - 3 pounds of thick cut bacon in the oven, vacuum seal and it's on the ready for instant BLTs or other dishes.

I'm down to just one large freezer now that all the troops are no longer here. My freezer is my friend now. Especially when one of our kids or a friend sends food that needs to be frozen. For some reason, people think that when you live alone, you never buy your own food. Really!

Respected Contributor

I always check Amazon first on cookbook prices & they're usually lower. Since I have a Prime membership, I don't pay shipping costs. (I order enough every year that the Prime membership is well worth it.)

About no tax: True, Amazon does not withhold state tax on purchases. However, you are still liable for reporting the tax when you file your state return if it's required by your state. It is in Colorado.

Trusted Contributor

I am thinking of getting the book. I cook almost all of our meals from scratch, but my parents and grandparents always cooked for a crowd, so I tend to cook in large quantities. Since there are only two of us, and I like ATK recipes anyway, I may try it.

By the way, some of us do pay Amazon taxes since we have multiple warehouses located in the area.

Trusted Contributor

I received a copy of Cooking for Two at my bridal shower,many years ago. I still use some of the recipes. Now that we're both retired,maybr I'll give the new version a looksee!
Honored Contributor

I don't like frozen cooked food whether I freeze it or I purchase a frozen meal at the store (the exception to that is soup that I freeze in single serving size). I will divide and freeze raw meat or fish. I just use recipes made for four and use half the amount of meat or fish. I find that cutting the sauces in half does not work well. If I am going to eat the meal twice I will have it one day then skip a day. The next time I will change out the salad or vegetable to make it a little different. I do not eat so called ""comfort foods"" so I don't have to worry about that.

Honored Contributor

PS: I saw a cookbook I was interested in recently. I checked with library and the had it so I checked it out. Copied two recipes in it and saved a few bucks!

Frequent Contributor

I did see it on amazon for $1.30 more than QVC, but with free shipping and there is tax added. We have been paying tax for a while now on Amazon purchases.