Respected Contributor

Generously salting a thick chicken breast for hours or overnight in the fridge should tenderize it.  Salty brine is the reason that store-bought rotisserie chicken  is so tender and juicy, and beef becomes more tender with a good salting. 

Salty brine  is often used on turkeys (such as Butterball), which makes them tender and juicy.

One no-no if we want tender  meat of any kind is to avoid marinating  it in anything containing vinegar for a long period of time.  The vinegar supposedly toughens meat.

Nothing is better  to DH and me than a grilled steak that has been heavily coated with Montreal Steak Seasoning which contains a lot of salt, pepper and garlic.  I season the steak and keep it in the fridge almost all day before cooking.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @faeriemoon .  An instant-read meat thermometer is vital.  For years I was overcooking chicken and the results were never good.  I now rely on a thermometer and I've been very surprised at how little time it actually takes for them to reach a safe temperature.

I also put the cutlets into a plastic bag and pound them with a mallet before marinating or cooking them.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: Cooking chicken breast cutlets

@I am still oxox - I'm not sure how you can get it to brown if it's skinless. 🤔

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking chicken breast cutlets

A really thin cutlet? 

IMO the only way to cook them is breaded and fried.