Esteemed Contributor

Cooking, A Pleasure or A Chore?

I have cooked for over 54 years, I think I may be over it.

I used to enjoy it but in the last few years my old body, especially my back protests a lot. It does not like prolonged standing at all.

I do cook but the navigating with a cane or a walker in the kitchen has taken any enjoyment I had cooking and thrown it out the window.

So is cooking fun/pleasure or a chore for you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking, A Pleasure or A Chore?

A pleasure.  I view cooking as a hobby.

Respected Contributor

I have entered the "chore" phase of life. I can do it, but I do not enjoy it.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 What I love about cooking is the response from people that I prepare meals for. My cooking is probably slightly above average, but I know what my family likes and I enjoy cooking homemade dishes that people love. I also like experimenting with new recipes.  

My number one problem, and my entire family will tell you, I always cook for an "army". I constantly have family laughing at the amount I make, I just never want anyone to leave hungry. Plus, everyone goes home with leftovers, hence the need for lots of Lock n Lock on hand.

My least favorite is the clean up. I usually use a lot of ingredients and have quite the mess. 

Trusted Contributor

Definitely a chore. I've been cooking for 51 years and I'm sick of it! I use any excuse I can find not to cook. I'm sick of figuring out what to have. I'm running out of ideas. It's me, my husband and our 33 year old son. My husband will cook sometimes, but he's still working so I don't expect him to do it a lot. Our son is a very good cook but he almost never cooks. Right now I consider cooking a necessary evil. LOL 

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2    It's a chore. A pain. I cooked for five children, my husband and myself for years. I would be happy to hire a chef if I could afford it. My daughter lives with me and we cobble meals together. I do occasionally make a pot roast or turkey for the extended family, but that's rare.

Respected Contributor

DH has worked from home since December 2016 so he handles most of the cooking which is fair b/c for the first 21 years of marriage I did most of the cooking.  I am retiring on June 14 so DH and I will probably split the duties from then on.

Esteemed Contributor

When I worked, and everything in my body was good i.e. pain free, I did marathon cooking sessions on Sunday mornings. It made the first half of the upcoming work week easier. I baked a lot then too, much to my late DH's delight.

I just don't have the energy anymore.

Valued Contributor

Some nights I try new recipies and enjoy it .

Other nights I say ," Let's eat out tonight "

Honored Contributor

My cooking now is much simpler than it used to be, but I still enjoy it because I know what i make will feed us and fuel us, and taste good, all at the same time.