Honored Contributor

Well, I needed some cookies for tomorrow, and I just didn't want to take the time to fuss. So I mixed up my pumpkin chocolate chip batter and spread it on a 9x13 pan.  I honestly don't know why I've never done this before. They came out great in no time at all. I'm sure many of you clever posters knew to do this already, and for the life of me I don't know why it never occurred to me.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

There is a basic oatmeal cookie recipe that I spread in a pan to make oatmeal breakfast bars. I add nuts, cranberries, dates, etc., whatever I have on hand.

This works for a drop cookie batter. For a rolled cookie like sugar cookies, not so much. 😉

Honored Contributor

Yes, I hace done this and prefer making healthy breakfast bars instead of cookies.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Sounds so much easier and faster!  Do you have to adjust the baking time?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 This is the way I roll; I don't have a lot of patience for cookie making.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

Sounds so much easier and faster!  Do you have to adjust the baking time?

@AngelPuppy1 , yes they took about 35 min. , I kept checking because I wasn't sure.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

There is a basic oatmeal cookie recipe that I spread in a pan to make oatmeal breakfast bars. I add nuts, cranberries, dates, etc., whatever I have on hand.

This works for a drop cookie batter. For a rolled cookie like sugar cookies, not so much. 😉

@Snowpuppy , that makes sense.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Chocolate chip in a pan are great!

Esteemed Contributor

Over the past couple of years, I've grown to prefer cookie bars over regular cookies for almost every recipe. I love the dense texture, and this approach really highlights the caramelly brown sugar flavor of chocolate chip (or my current favorite triple chip, which has semisweet, milk, and white chip) and oatmeal cookie recipes. The ease of preparation is a bonus!

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 and @snowpuppy, I love making sugar cookie bars as well! If you're interested in a recipe, let me know, and I'll be happy to share.