Respected Contributor

@ptagirl wrote:

@Mermaid22 wrote:

Hi all! I have never made cookie press cookies but I want to try to make them this holiday season. I inherited my moms ”Mirro”  manual  press. I would love to get some feedback from you expert bakers out there. Is this the press to go with, or another brand/ type? I have a fear of cookie press failure! LOL. Also, if you have any tips to share about making these types of cookies I would truly appreciate it. Thank you!

I also used to own a Mirro manual press... I discovered it was easier for me to practice on a bare aluminum cookie sheet (not non-stick) so I knew when and how far to turn/release the press... make sure your press is completely in contact with the cookie sheet (not at an angle)  to get more uniform cookies... try not to press too much dough, as the shape will spread out as they bake....  do a test pan first during baking...you  may have to vary the time/temp for consistent results....remember your dough has to be stiff (consistency of play dough), or it will not retain it's shape during baking.

Don't fear of cookie failure.... if the cookies don't press out correctly the first time, you can reinsert the unbaked dough back into the press and try again...believe me, I've had many failures, but just kept experimenting till I had a great end result....(but the baked failures taste great, too!)

I now use a rachet- style press, which I like better... for me it's easier to use.

I have a recipe that uses Jello in the mix and the cookies turn out nice with great flavor! 

Good Luck and Have Fun!..

@ptagirl Could you share your cookie recipe, please? I used to make press cookies, but their texture was so hard, you had to dip them in hot tea or hot chocolate to soften them up!  TIA! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Cookie Press

[ Edited ]

@Mermaid22  I've read that OXO is the best brand for a cookie press.   I think Cooks Illustrated recommends that brand also.   I have one, but have never used it...   

Honored Contributor

I won't give up my ancient Mirro press because it has the recipe for molasses cookies and has a camel shape!  Molasses or spice cookies?  Can't remember!  LOL!!!  Anyway, they are brown and the little camels come out brown.  TOO cute! 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Mermaid22,

I love pressed cookies!

I have had good luck with the Spritz cookie recipe from the Betty Crocker website.

The recipe is for Classic Spritz Cookies. There are also tips for making the Spritz cookies on there, and a video, too.

I also use a manual press.

The key is to keep the press upright and flat against the cookie sheet.

You also don't want the dough to be either too hard or too soft.

You want your cookie pans to be cool when your dough goes on the pan, or the dough will start to spread. 

My kitchen space is a galley kitchen and it tends to get hot rather fast, so I'll stick my dough batch in the fridge in between cookie batches baking in the oven, otherwise it can get too soft. 

Valued Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@ptagirl wrote:

@Mermaid22 wrote:

Hi all! I have never made cookie press cookies but I want to try to make them this holiday season. I inherited my moms ”Mirro”  manual  press. I would love to get some feedback from you expert bakers out there. Is this the press to go with, or another brand/ type? I have a fear of cookie press failure! LOL. Also, if you have any tips to share about making these types of cookies I would truly appreciate it. Thank you!

I also used to own a Mirro manual press... I discovered it was easier for me to practice on a bare aluminum cookie sheet (not non-stick) so I knew when and how far to turn/release the press... make sure your press is completely in contact with the cookie sheet (not at an angle)  to get more uniform cookies... try not to press too much dough, as the shape will spread out as they bake....  do a test pan first during baking...you  may have to vary the time/temp for consistent results....remember your dough has to be stiff (consistency of play dough), or it will not retain it's shape during baking.

Don't fear of cookie failure.... if the cookies don't press out correctly the first time, you can reinsert the unbaked dough back into the press and try again...believe me, I've had many failures, but just kept experimenting till I had a great end result....(but the baked failures taste great, too!)

I now use a rachet- style press, which I like better... for me it's easier to use.

I have a recipe that uses Jello in the mix and the cookies turn out nice with great flavor! 

Good Luck and Have Fun!..

@ptagirl Could you share your cookie recipe, please? I used to make press cookies, but their texture was so hard, you had to dip them in hot tea or hot chocolate to soften them up!  TIA! 

PRESSED JELLO COOKIES

Mix and set aside:

3 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking powder

Cream:

1 1/2 cup. softened butter,

Gradually add, beating well:

1 cup sugar

1 - 3 oz. pkg. Jello (any flavor)

Beat in:

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

* Gradually add above dry ingredients and mix well.

Press onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min.... Makes approx. 10 doz.

Baking time may vary according to your oven... I usually bake mine about 8-9 min. just til firm, but not too brown... I sprinkle some little ball decorations or colored sugar on top before baking..

You can also add a little bit more food coloring to the dough to enhance the color...

I usually use Lime flavor for the trees/wreaths,  and Cherry or Raspberry flavor for the 

other shapes.... but you can use anything you want..

Have Fun!

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@hummermom wrote:

I've used several different cookie presses, and my current fav is the OXO cookie press. I've used the Mirro press, but it has the handle you turn to release the dough. Most of the newer presses have a lever that you pull, which I think is easier to use.

I prefer a spritz cookie recipe that contains a bit of cream cheese. (You'll find lots of recipes if you google it.)

I find that the cookies aren't quite so dry.

Good luck with the cookies!

@hummermom - Your response was nearly identical to the one I was going to post—I heartily agree with your brand recommendation and tips! Smiley Happy

@loriqvc

I googled Cream Cheese Spritz and too much came up!  LOL

Can you or anyone else recommend a cream cheese dough recipe you have that is tried and true?  

I'd greatly appreciate it! 

I also inherited my mom's cookie press and would love to bring back those memories!

Tia!!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Here's the cream cheese recipe that I use (slightly adapted from the recipe in Fine Cooking):

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies

8 oz. (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

3 oz. cream cheese (I use Philadelphia brand whole fat), softened at room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg yolk

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

11-1/4 ounces (2-1/2 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted (I use Pillsbury unbleached flour)

1/4 tsp. table salt

1 egg white, lightly beaten

Colored sugars or other decorations (optional)

Heat the oven to 375 deg. F. With a stand mixer (use the paddle attachment) or a hand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat again until blended. Add the flour and salt and mix on low speed until blended.

Fit the cookie press with a die plate. Fill the barrel with cookie dough and spritz the cookies directly onto an ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Brush the tops with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar if using.

Bake until the cookies are just golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. (It's best to bake one sheet at a time.) Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet on a rack for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. Be sure the baking sheet is cool before spritzing moe cookies.

Store at room temperature or freeze in an airtight container, separating the cookie layers with waxed paper.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cookie Press

[ Edited ]

@ptagirl Thanks - they look delicious! I’ll have to give press cookies another try using your recipe. 

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your tips, tricks and recipes! I went ahead and ordered the xoxo cookie press and some new heavy gauge cookie sheets. Ready to bake!

Respected Contributor

I have two cookie presses, both inherited from my mother.  The only thing I've been able to make with them is a mess.  I had an aunt who made pressed cookies every Christmas and they were both delicious and works of art.  Sigh......l