Honored Contributor

Converting cake recipe because of smaller boxes of cake mix

I had this "recipe" written down and lost it.  I did a search and what I came up with was to add 5 or 6 tablespoons of flour to the new smaller size boxed cake mix and also add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.   Does this seem correct?  (making an old recipe that called for the larger size cake mix)

Respected Contributor

Re: Converting cake recipe because of smaller boxes of cake mix

You could also use self rising flour that has the baking powder & salt already in it.

Esteemed Contributor

i keep a box of yellow and chocolate cake mix in a l&l.....boxes used to be 16oz....so i use the cake mix make up the difference.....

Regular Contributor

I am happy to see what to add.  I have a cookbook, "Quick fixes with Mixes", most recipes calling for boxed cake mix.  Now I can use it again.  Must write this down.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i keep a box of yellow and chocolate cake mix in a l&l.....boxes used to be 16oz....so i use the cake mix make up the difference.....

@nana59 .... WOW what a great solution .... makes perfect sense .... thanks so much for sharing this tip. 😍

Honored Contributor

I found the "recipe" I used before.   Add 6 Tablespoons flour to smaller mixes and about 1/2 tsp. baking powder and a little sugar.          Thanks for the responses to my original post.

Contributor

I got this recipe from this forum several years ago, which I make and keep in a jar as suggested.  It has served me well.

Three-Ounce Cake Mix Upsizer

•1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
•1 cup sugar
•2 teaspoons baking powder
•1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Whisk all dry ingredients together and store in a clean mason jar. When you wish to increase a 15.25 ounce cake mix to 18.25 ounces, add three ounces of this mix (6 tablespoons) to your existing cake mix. Believe it or not, you do not need to adjust the liquid ingredients at all — try it and see!

Happy holidays!

Gr8Auntie

Respected Contributor

@Gr8Auntie thanks for posting.

Contributor

You're very welcome, @coffee drinker.  I found it on this forum and I wish I had kept the name of the OP.  I've learned my lesson, but not soon enough.  LOL

Have a wonderful day.

Gr8Auntie

Honored Contributor

Why can't you just buy an extra box of cake mix & use it to add the difference from the old weight vs the new weight?

If is was 18.25 oz & now it's 15.25 oz add 3 oz to each cake from 1 box mix. There should be enough from 1 box cake mix to add 3 oz to 5 boxes cake mix.