Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee maker

[ Edited ]

@River Song wrote:

I gave up on coffee makers and purchased an all metal French press, no glass carafes to break, no water leaking out of the bottom of the coffee maker.  I live in Florida and it's hurricane season.  I figure, God forbid, that if I get hit by a hurricane, I can boil water on my gas grill and at least make myself a cup of coffee when the power is out for two weeks.  

Have you ever looked into the water reservoir of a coffee maker?  I cleaned my previous coffee makers religiously with their clean functions and there was still slime mold growing in the reservoir...dark and damp, the perfect growing conditions for slime mold.  Blech.

But, if I were to purchase another coffee maker I would go with Bunn.

@River Songor anyone....I'm interested in getting a French press, I guess all metal would work, but I can be very careful with glass (I think).  What is the brand you have?

Coffee pots skeeve me out.  The thought of all that plastic heating up creeps me out.  I've thought of a Jura (sp?) as I've heard they kick out a hot cup.  But we just want coffee, nothing else needed.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@River Song wrote:

I gave up on coffee makers and purchased an all metal French press, no glass carafes to break, no water leaking out of the bottom of the coffee maker.  I live in Florida and it's hurricane season.  I figure, God forbid, that if I get hit by a hurricane, I can boil water on my gas grill and at least make myself a cup of coffee when the power is out for two weeks.  

Have you ever looked into the water reservoir of a coffee maker?  I cleaned my previous coffee makers religiously with their clean functions and there was still slime mold growing in the reservoir...dark and damp, the perfect growing conditions for slime mold.  Blech.

But, if I were to purchase another coffee maker I would go with Bunn.

@River Songor anyone....I'm interested in getting a French press, I guess all metal would work, but I can be very careful with glass (I think).  What is the brand you have?

Coffee pots skeeve me out.  The thought of all that plastic heating up creeps me out.  I've thought of a Jura (sp?) as I've heard they kick out a hot cup.  But we just want coffee, nothing else needed.

I had to look up my Amazon order for the brand of French press:  Espro P7 double walled stainless steel French press, 32 oz.  I like three cups of java in the morning and this size is perfect.  I sewed a "cozy" for it out of two terry cloth kitchen towels to keep the coffee hot, like a tea cozy for a tea pot but taller.  I also purchased an OXO good grips coffee grounds cleaning scoop, makes cleaning out the grounds so much easier, worth every penney.