Esteemed Contributor

Cleaned out my Freezer Today

i noticed my chicken, steaks, etc. all had frost in the freezer bags.  I must have thought at the time I packaged them properly but I guess not.  None of these meats have been frozen for a year.  I guess they are ok to eat but I'm not feeling good about them.  How do you freeze your meats to avoid freezer burn?  I'm getting tempted to buy a vacuum sealer, but don't really want to deal with it.  If you have a vacuum sealer how do you like it?

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaned out my Freezer Today

I have a vacuum sealer and I love it.  I take the meat out of the packaging and seal it in separate packages.  The hamburgs and steaks from Rastelli's I just leave in their packaging.  My vacuum sealer has saved a lot of meat for me.  It keeps for months.

Honored Contributor

I think everything will be freezer burned if kept long enough.  I cleaned out my freezer last week the night before garbage day and threw out 15+ lbs of meat.  Shameful waste.  I just don't cook much anymore.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think everything will be freezer burned if kept long enough.  I cleaned out my freezer last week the night before garbage day and threw out 15+ lbs of meat.  Shameful waste.  I just don't cook much anymore.

@Kachina624 

I do the same thing from time to time and clean out my refrigerator and throw out, probably 5 (partially filled) bottles of catsup, 2-3 mustard, 3-4 mayos, hot sauces, pepper sauce, terriyaki sauce, etc.  I leave cleaning my freezer to a lady I pay to do it and that way I don't mourn over the money wasted on meat never cooked.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

won't be without my vacuum sealer. saves tons of money when i buy meats and hash browns in bulk. you do have to make the time to vacuum seal everything when you do your bulk buying though, but that's usually just once every couple of months for us as we have a separate freezer. 
we also marinate meats and vacuum seal and it makes the meats even more savory when ready to use.

Honored Contributor

I keep saying to myself I am going to clean out the freezer in our garage. BUT I seem to easily find an excuse to put it off. I admire you @Biftu for doing it.

But I also want to clean out the refrigerator in my kitchen too. About a month ago I opened a squeeze bottle of Hellman's mayonaise. Have not been able to find it since I opened it. So I want to take everything out and clean the refrigerator.

I checked all the drawers and shelves for the Hellman's. Guess I just chalk it up to another kitchen mystery.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

i noticed my chicken, steaks, etc. all had frost in the freezer bags.  I must have thought at the time I packaged them properly but I guess not.  None of these meats have been frozen for a year.  I guess they are ok to eat but I'm not feeling good about them.  How do you freeze your meats to avoid freezer burn?  I'm getting tempted to buy a vacuum sealer, but don't really want to deal with it.  If you have a vacuum sealer how do you like it?

@Biftu We would not be without one. They are easy to use and we freeze things in those bags all the time. No frost, no freezer burn.  

Honored Contributor

We are "eating the freezers" to restock for fall/winter. So far this week we have cleaned out the kitchen cabinets, the pantry in the house and the annex pantry in the garage, and the bar.  

It feels SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!  We did the inside cabinets the day before trash day.

Honored Contributor

You'd be surprised how long frozen meat actually lasts. We recently went to a major supplier to pick up steaks they had for us so we could prepare meals for those in need. The steaks looked good, but the package date was over a year ago. The man in charge said they are still OK to use, but they wouldn't be as flavorful. We turned them down and decided to ask people to buy a pound of ground beef when they shop for themselves. That was a good idea and people were generous!

I also have a vacuum sealer, but use it mostly for vegetables. From time to time I buy a family pack of ground round, divide it in three portions, and use my sealer. I have an older model, but it works fine.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We are "eating the freezers" to restock for fall/winter. So far this week we have cleaned out the kitchen cabinets, the pantry in the house and the annex pantry in the garage, and the bar.  

It feels SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!  We did the inside cabinets the day before trash day.

I have been trying to do the same thing. So for dinner when my husband asked what we are having, I reply "Freezer Surprise".