Trusted Contributor

Re: 🍒 Cherries 🍒

I bought two bags from Walmart yesterday.  They are so good I am going back in a few days and buy more to freeze.

Honored Contributor

@IamDoodles 

How do you prepare them to freeze?  Don't they get mushy?  Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

We have been eating tons of cherries!  The blackhearts are the best -- much sweeter!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not found any Bing cherries in the stores this year (I live in mid-west) The ones usually from the north west. The only ones I have found -- and they are decent but not as good are from California . Red and I do not think they have much taste. I wonder if there has been a problem with the Bing ? Usually this time of year every store is selling them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I mostly look for produce from CA, but last year my grocery store had cherries from Canada and they were THE best, biggest, most beautiful and sweet, cherries I've ever had.   I hope they have them again this year.

As the OP said, they are great for arthritis issues.  When I was eating 8-10 cherries (it might not need to be that many) a day, my arthritis pain issues were almost nil.   I'm glad somebody else brought this up, as I've mentioned it a few times in the Wellness forum and am always ignored.  It's a good thing to know!  Smiley Happy    I still have other pains, but it's nice to get rid of some of them for a while.

I LOVE cherries!  Heart

ETA - here is a pic I took last year of some of my Canadian cherries:

P1140840.jpg

Respected Contributor

I am a "cherry adict".  Have had 2 bags of them so far this year.  Eat 'em like crazy.  They've been nothing short of wonderful.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@IamDoodles 

How do you prepare them to freeze?  Don't they get mushy?  Thanks!

I wash them, remove stems,  blot off excess water.  Put them on cookie sheet to freeze.  When frozen put them in ziplock bags.  simple.  Sometimes, when I'm feeling ambitious, I pit them too.  When pitted they are delicious to pop into your mouth while still frozen.  Very refreshing on a hot day.