Honored Contributor

Re: Ceramic or stainless steel, which is better?

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:
I just don’t understand the difference between the two and what the benefits are. Is the stainless steel nonstick as well?

@Allthingsgirly67 

Stainless steel is not nonstick; you also don't have issues with a coating coming up as a carnosigendown the road.

If you are cooking something for a long time you can always get a metal diffuser from amazon to put under the pot to lift it slightly.

Fitz-All Heat Diffusers For Use On Ranges To Protect Glass Cookware, Card of 2

Honored Contributor

What was the name of the cookware (glass?) that was white with tiny blue flowers on front. It could be used as a serving dish, too. You would remove the handle and place the dish on the table.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

What was the name of the cookware (glass?) that was white with tiny blue flowers on front. It could be used as a serving dish, too. You would remove the handle and place the dish on the table.

Corningware..I still have lots of it..I give my kids leftovers to go in it..just to get rid of  some of it. My DIL's love it!

Valued Contributor

I have 2 non-stick fry pans that DH is allowed use...

All my other pots and pans are Farberware stainless steel...They still look like new after 52 yrs.!  Wouldn't trade them for any other.

Respected Contributor

@Jo1313 @Judaline   I still love and use my Cornflower Corning

Ware from 1963. It is great for use in the oven or on my glass

stovetop.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Jo1313 @Judaline   I still love and use my Cornflower Corning

Ware from 1963. It is great for use in the oven or on my glass

stovetop.

Is it still available? I doubt it. Maybe on ebay?

Respected Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:
I just don’t understand the difference between the two and what the benefits are. Is the stainless steel nonstick as well?

@Allthingsgirly67 

Stainless pots where sticking isn't an issue like soups, boiling pasta and steaming vegetables with an insert work well.

Cooking an egg, sauteing vegetables like onions carrots & celery for soups can stick, nonstick fry pans work well.

As for the difference in non stick materials some are considered carcinogenic, ceramic is supposedly one of the safest like Greenpan offers.

I prefer using Le Creuset for sauteing and searing but depends if you want to spend that much and or can handle the weight.

Honored Contributor

I agree with different materials for different needs.  Nonstick is the ticket for eggs and other things that stick, stainless for roasting and for things with a lot of liquid: braising, soups, stews, sauces, etc.  

I was so happy to get rid of the corning ware--unlike lots of folks.  I somehow found it awfully difficult to clean from all the little stuck-on spots especially when it went in the oven.  Enameled cast iron and ceramic pieces are what I use in the oven now and clean-up is a breeze! Heart

Honored Contributor

I have some Caraway pieces that I love.  I do have some stainless and some Le Creuset also.  I find myself reaching for the Caraway more.  I especially love the Double Burner Griddle.  It can be used on the stove top or in the oven.

Double Burner Griddle - Cream - Image 1