Trusted Contributor

Re: Cast iron experts, help please

@Mememee who is this made by?

Honored Contributor

I have my grandmothers Griswold from back in the 40's.  I wonder how many meals it's cooked!  My mom used it a few times a week and then it came to me when she passed.

If something does get stuck, I use one of those scrubbies - sponge on one side, scrubby stuff on the other to get it off, then just wipe it out and set it on the lit burner to dry.  When it's dry I rub a few drops of oil on it.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl - I have a couple of Wagner pans, also some Griswold.  I did have that on a couple of mine.  It gets better the more you use them.  I always wipe mine with a little oil after each use. It is normal iron residue that is coming off.

I NEVER use dish soap on them ever!  Warm or hot water, nylon scrubbie or hard plastic spatula to get anything stubborn off.  You don't want to damage the finish.  If it has been seasoned properly, there shouldn't be a sticking problem.

Enjoy, these wonderful older ones are getting harder to find!

Respected Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:

The cast iron or the scrubbie?

Super Contributor

wrote:

kitty4me wrote:

The cast iron or the scrubbie?

I know this is a semi-old thread, but please bear with me.  :-)  I'd like to add my two cents, here....  As for what scrubbie to use with cast iron pans, I highly recommend the Scour Daddy sponges by Scrub Daddy (the regular Scrub Daddy sponge works nicely, as well).  I've used the Scour Daddy sponges with great success.  If I have any stubborn stuff that I need to clean out of my cast iron pans, if need be, I add a wee bit of canola oil and kosher salt, and just scrub away, and then rinse, dry, and season as usual.  Sometimes, all I need is the Scour Daddy and cold water.  I do have the Lodge scrub brush, but depending on the seasoning in my pans and/or the cleaning needs, it's not always sufficient (for me, anyway).