Respected Contributor

Re: Cast iron experts, help please

[ Edited ]

I'm not an expert either, but:

If something has stuck in the pan, use salt to scrub out the residue - not soap.

After you rinse the pan, dry it over a burner, then rub on some solid Crisco. Your pan will stay beautiful!

HTH!

ETA: As @IamMrsG said - the residue you see on your paper towel is 100% normal. Don't give it another thought. Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Its not rusty, just residue from the iron.  I season my cast iron after each use.  As I said, my cast iron skillet is darn near 50 yrs old and has been on campfires, had burned, charred potatoes in it and its still going strong.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Never use steel brushes on your cast iron.  I dont know about the clean cycle in the oven, but I would not do it.  Believe me if you wash it, I use Dawn, rinse and wipe dry it is a clean pan.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

I have many cast iron pieces and love them. I wash, dry, and then rub in "cast iron oil" (all natural.) You just use a small amount and the pans look amazing. You can find it online or maybe even the grocery store. HTH :-)

@Mimi 1883thanks for the tip about the cast iron oil, I wash my cast iron every time I use it and heat it up on the stove to dry it and then wipe it with coconut oil. I inherited an old cast iron Dutch oven and lid, I would not think of not washing that out after I cooked something in it.

Honored Contributor

First time I fried chicken in mine and just had to let it soak and not use dish liquid in it to clean up the grease and chicken bits. Scape and scape. I said for the birds and pitched mine out to the curb. Who's got time now days to baby a skillet. Heavy ol' thing. KIcked it to the curb.

To those who love theirs , Yay !   Doesn't suit my lifestyle.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 You're very  welcome. The oil is made by Caron & Doucet and contains coconut oil. They even make a special soap to wash cast iron. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

First time I fried chicken in mine and just had to let it soak and not use dish liquid in it to clean up the grease and chicken bits. Scape and scape. I said for the birds and pitched mine out to the curb. Who's got time now days to baby a skillet. Heavy ol' thing. KIcked it to the curb.

To those who love theirs , Yay !   Doesn't suit my lifestyle.

@SharkE, if we were neighbors & I'd seen your cast iron skillet in the trash, it would've been a banner day for me when I pulled it out!  Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

Thank you all who took the time to respond.  No it is not rust, just a dark iron color.  I was not sure if that was part of the 'natural joy' of cast iron.

So far I have used my cast iron on the grill, oven and gas cook top.

I bought this from Amazon and LOVE it!  It works wonders, even on my cast iron grill pans.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl  I have that chain mail in my Amazon Wish List; however, my cast iron  is so old (covered wagon days) and well-seasoned, it is as non-stick as any non-stick cookware out there. 

Edited to insert a missing word. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I used crisco shortening years ago,now use coconut oil,i am going to buy that oil for cast iron,learned something new,thanks.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.