Respected Contributor

Cast iron experts, help please

I have recently bought several cast iron pieces and am going to start to scavenge flea markets and tag sales for some of the older Wagner pieces but I have a question.

Is cast iron ever 100% "clean" as I am still in the 'season and use and season' phase I am noted that if I rub a pan with a paper towel for example I get brownish mark on the paper towel.  Is that normal?  Will it ever stop and I will be able to wipe/rub the pan and not get a residue?

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cast iron experts, help please

Limited knowledge here but hated the one fry pan I had in the past.  Always gave off a rust residue appearance. Dumped it and never bought another.  Also, food would stick if too hot.

Honored Contributor

Walmart at one time came out with a half cast iron half aluminum. Didn't have the weight and cleaning problem. So glad I got one. 

Waring, I think, made it. Those Lodge cast iron things are more for the camp fire cattle days. those men can heave those things around not me.

Their good for bopping somebody over the head with though

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  I am no expert, but nonetheless have experience with cast iron. That dark residue you see is perfectly normal.  It's some of the seasoning that you want the pan to have.  The 'bother' you feel from seeing it is more in your head than in the pan.  Woman Happy

You might find this Lodge web page helpful.   I urge you to keep with it, cast iron is the best, IMHO. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I have some newer lodge  peices, i do love them, but there was a time i had some old cast iron peices,and i could never rid them of the iron look ,no matter how many times i seasoned them, just be sure not to wash them, only clean by wiping them out with paper towels.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes it is normal, I have a Wagner cast iron skillet I have used for almost 50 years.  It was even used on camp fires.  When I dry it with a paper towel the rust still wipes off.  I have a new Wagner dutch oven and it does the same.  Just part of cooking with iron.  It will not harm you or your family.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

To add a couple of suggestions.  I still "season" my cast iron pans, especially after cooking something acidic in them, such as tomato based sauce.  I use Crisco solid.  When I use them I also use a non stick spray.  Food does not stick then and its an easy clean up.  Never let water set overnight in your cast iron and do not put in dishwasher.  Im sure you already knew this but just want to help out.  I think you will really like cooking with cast iron, I do.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Yes it is normal, I have a Wagner cast iron skillet I have used for almost 50 years.  It was even used on camp fires.  When I dry it with a paper towel the rust still wipes off.  I have a new Wagner dutch oven and it does the same.  Just part of cooking with iron.  It will not harm you or your family.

@Imaoldhippie   If you are seeing actual rust, your pan needs to be reseasoned.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

I have many cast iron pieces and love them. I wash, dry, and then rub in "cast iron oil" (all natural.) You just use a small amount and the pans look amazing. You can find it online or maybe even the grocery store. HTH :-)

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I have recently bought several cast iron pieces and am going to start to scavenge flea markets and tag sales for some of the older Wagner pieces but I have a question.

Is cast iron ever 100% "clean" as I am still in the 'season and use and season' phase I am noted that if I rub a pan with a paper towel for example I get brownish mark on the paper towel.  Is that normal?  Will it ever stop and I will be able to wipe/rub the pan and not get a residue?

Thank you!

You can get a cast iron pan where it won't do that.  Some people use a drill with a steel round brush wheel, I've heard of people putting it in an oven through the clean cycle, etc.  Read up on it on the internet.  No expert here, but there ARE ways to clean them, reseason them and start fresh.