Super Contributor

Re: Cast Iron Cookware Lovers

I have the 3 different sizes of Dutch ovens that ShopHQ offers and I saw the cookware Value of the Day awhile back but I'm really wanting a 12"" skillet.

I have a decent hard anodized set that includes an 8"" and 10"" plus I've added a huge 13.75"" every day pan which I love but I need a 12"" skillet or every day pan in either the anodized or enamel cast iron.

New Contributor

I'm happy with Lodge brand cast iron. I have some skillets with lids and also an enamel dutch oven and smaller enamel pot. The enamel pieces are a good value for your money compared to Le Creuset. And I really like that it's made in the USA. The only thing is, it's very heavy to handle. Also, I have a glass cooktop and haven't had any problems using cast iron on it. You do need to keep the bottoms clean though.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/19/2014 navy0412298 said: Im an ole woman from the mountains of NC,I have my grandmothers and my mothers collection of the old cast iron,Just a little tip if you find any of the old cast iron no matter how bad it looks,all you have to do is put it in a bucket ir tub fill it with any cheap cooking oil until the pot or pan is coverd leave it for week or two.Looks like brand new especially if you find them at yard sales or flea markets. if its really really bad you may have to soak it in the oil a little longer.

Is this really true? I have 5 really old cast iron skillets that are over 100 years old. They are sitting in my garage right now because I just couldn't bear to part with them but they are coated with gunk and grime and I didn't think they could ever be used. What kind of oil do you use? Does the oil loosen all that gunk or how does this work? What do you do after you have soaked the skillets? I am really interested since I would love to use these skillets. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I got rid of my old time black cast iron long ago when I read in the directions you couldn't use dishwashing liquid in it! huh? I got the enamel and make fried chicken then milk gravy after the chicken is lifted out and after you pour the gravy out just put the skillet in the sink cover it up with water let soak for just awhile and clean it with Ivory, Dawn, etc. Brand new.

Don't use it a lot because yep any cast iron will be heavy and I'm lazy and just use my Sam's skillets most of the time. Tim Love's skillets make the best gravy though just cooks and thickens up gravy the best.

Regular Contributor

I recently bought a "lightweight" cast iron pan with enamel exterior...LOVE

Always wanted to try cast iron, but I have a glass -top stove and cast-iron is definitely NOT supposed to be used on glass..too heavy.

It's a Food Network pan sold by Kohls..

I'm so pleased with cast-iron, I'm going to buy a regular weight cast-iron pan for oven use only.

Thanks for the Amazon heads-up.

Super Contributor

On 2/19/2014 golden mariposa said:
On 2/19/2014 navy0412298 said: Im an ole woman from the mountains of NC,I have my grandmothers and my mothers collection of the old cast iron,Just a little tip if you find any of the old cast iron no matter how bad it looks,all you have to do is put it in a bucket ir tub fill it with any cheap cooking oil until the pot or pan is coverd leave it for week or two.

Is this really true? I have 5 really old cast iron skillets that are over 100 years old. They are sitting in my garage right now because I just couldn't bear to part with them but they are coated with gunk and grime and I didn't think they could ever be used. What kind of oil do you use? Does the oil loosen all that gunk or how does this work? What do you do after you have soaked the skillets? I am really interested since I would love to use these skillets. Thanks.

golden mariposa, I don't know about the oil trick ... but if you find someone who does sand blasting, they can clean up those pans. You might feel a little odd asking, but you probably won't be the first.

Sharke, for traditional cast iron, soap removes the oils and seasoning of the pan, but you're using the enamel coated stuff, so maybe that doesn't apply. Also, tomato sauces will remove the seasoning. If you need to re-season a pan, cooking a lot of bacon works well.

I'm glad I read about glass top stoves. I was wondering. I've always had gas stoves, so glass is a whole new world.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for this thread. Smiley Happy Need a new, big soup pot. Thinking about cast iron or stainless of some sort. The last I had I used all the time and it was a Cuisinart brand that was given to me as a gift. While I loved the size and used it all the time, it had some kind of non-stick coating that started to wear away. Time for a new pan!

Trusted Contributor

You can clean up cast iron by running it through the self cleaning cycle of your oven. Check You Tube for more info.
Super Contributor

I have a glass top stove and I use cast iron on it all of the time. What you need to know is don't move your pan around on the stove top. Pick it up and set it down. Also, if you have a pan that is rusted, and you have a self cleaning oven, you can put the pan in the oven, run it through the cleaning cycle and it will come out brand new. You will have to re=season it, but it is worth the effort. Hope this helps?

Honored Contributor

I have some small Lodge cast iron fry pans that are pre seasoned, I bake my home made pizza in them. I find as long as I keep the pans clean and dry they do not rust. I like the Staub pots that the Q used to sell for soup , I don't like regular cast iron to make soup.