Honored Contributor

Re: Cash or card at the grocery store?

I pay for our groceries with our Discover card. I like the points. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

We use a credit card everywhere.  Don't like carrying a lot of cash around and I do like getting cash back for spending what I would have anyway.  Always pay off cards monthly.

I get annoyed when I see people writing checks at the supermarket.  At least get a debit card.  We are in the 21st century.

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

We use a credit card everywhere.  Don't like carrying a lot of cash around and I do like getting cash back for spending what I would have anyway.  Always pay off cards monthly.

I get annoyed when I see people writing checks at the supermarket.  At least get a debit card.  We are in the 21st century.

AT least people with checks are paying cash and it takes much less time that waiting behind somone with the WIC papers.

At least in our state, they still use the paper vouchers for WIC and it takes forever, as some customers bring half a dozen vouchers with them and they process seperately. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

At our house, we try to use the Costco Visa card on as much as possible to get the cash rebate on purchases. 

However, with all the data breaches and identity theft going on, I'm not throwing around  a credit card at every single place I go anymore, and now carry a larger amount of cash for at least smaller purchases.

I have also become increasingly hesitant to write checks for anything, because once the account number gets into the wrong hands, someone could probably find a few ways to clean out our checking account.

It's horrible to feel so insecure about these things, but that's life today and I'm trying to be more cautious.

Would never want a debit card (too risky), and have always paid off all credit cards in full every month.  Also make as many automatic bill payments as possible with a credit card and automatic checking account deductions.  

DH does not look back fondly on his old Sunday night chore of writing checks to pay bills that came in during the week.  We bought a supply of Forever postage stamps years ago that will probably never get used up at the rate we're going.

Trusted Contributor

We use our Discover card for groceries and also other items for the cash back.

Honored Contributor

I write a check for groceries, so basically I pay cash.  I don't care about points and don't over buy.  Same with general shopping.  Occasionally will use the credit card (DH and I each have a Visa and no others) but it's used for emergencies and planned household purchases and is paid off at the end of the month. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@castlenv wrote:

AT least people with checks are paying cash and it takes much less time that waiting behind somone with the WIC papers.

At least in our state, they still use the paper vouchers for WIC and it takes forever, as some customers bring half a dozen vouchers with them and they process seperately. 

I often use checks but i always fill everything but the amount in the check before i go through the register ...that way it takes NO MORE TIME then a debit card....BUT i do see the faces of those behind me....EVEN THOUGH I AM IN AND OUT AS FAST OR FASTER then the person before

me with a CC.................customers automatically get annoyed for some strange reason if anyone pulls out a checkbook!!  And it annoys me back at you!!  I SERIOUSLY don't care how anyone pays at the register..everyone does what is comfortable for them....as they should.........

Honored Contributor

i use mostly a credit card......i like getting points, miles, or cash back.

sometimes i use a check......if i need cash back. it is one less stop to make. our grocery stores have check writers so all you have to do is sign your name, they run the check through the machine, and they hand you your check back. it is submitted electronically.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I used to do check, but now I charge, utilizing the opportunity to get some cash back on my charge card.

Honored Contributor

I use my credit card for as many purchases as possible.I like the rewards points.I don't feel that I spend more by using the card because like spending cash I know that my money must pay the card in full at the months end.