Honored Contributor

I can't imagine tasting sweet carmalized onions those those who add sugar. Yuck.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I've carmelized onions for French Onion Soup for years, using a recipe I got from a major department store in St. Louis many years ago - they were "famous" for their recipe. It calls for sauteeing 1 1/4 lb. thinly sliced onions in 6 Tbsp. butter for 1 1/2 hours. The result is a very tender and light color to the slices that is perfect for onion soup. I don't think there is a trick to it except for melting the butter in a large soup pot, slicing the onions thinly, and occassionally stirring the onions to keep them mixed with the butter. I don't have a Vitamix - just use a large pot for my onion soup. Total time to simmer after onions have caramelized and all ingredients are added is another 2 hours. It's awesome!

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1  Would you mind posting your French Onion soup recipe?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

I'd be glad to share the recipe - it's really good! Thanks, Stargazer77 for asking!

Famous-Barr French Onion Soup

1 1/4 lb thinly sliced onions

1 tsp pepper

1 bay leaf

1 1/2 qt. beef bouillon (6 cups)

1 1/2 tsp salt

6 Tbsp butter

1 Tbsp paprika

1/2 cup all purpose flour

French bread

Swiss cheese

Caramel coloring (optional)

Slice onions 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Saute onions (on low) in melted butter for 1 1/2 hours in large soup pot. Stir occasionally.

Add flour, salt and paprika. Stir together and sautee on low for 10 minutes.

Add bouillon and bay leaf and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Adjust color to a rich brown (like Kitchen Bouquet if you want a darker color).

Makes 2 quarts of soup.

To serve: Place heated soup in casserole dish or individual oven-safe bowls and top with slices of French bread and slices of Swiss cheese.

Place under broiler for 5 minutes or at 450 degrees until slightly brown on top and cheese is melted.

Valued Contributor

I caramelize 3 lbs of onions at a time and I also add a pinch of sugar.  When they are caramelized in about 1 hour I add a little bit of a good Balsamic vinegar to them.  They freeze up wonderfully, I make tiny packages and freeze for omelets, burgers, on pizza and etc.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you