Trusted Contributor

So, I've never caramelized onions before.  I watched a YouTube video and gave it a shot.  They came out pretty good, but I thought they were a bit overdone.  For those who caramelize onions, what are your tips and tricks?  What's the point when you know they're done?

I had to practice this so I can attempt to make French Onion soup in the Vitamix, as seen on this past weekend's Vitamix show.  Does anyone know if the recipes have been posted yet?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Caramelizing onions?

[ Edited ]

I always sprinkle a little sugar on my onions while they are cooking on low. That seems to help them caramelize without burning. They are a deep  golden brown when done.  Cook them on low heat.  It will take a while for them to be done properly.

Valued Contributor

IMG_1474.JPG

I thought this article from Bon Appetit was interesting.  I did not know about the three kinds of carmelized onions. 

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/caramelized-onions

Their picture shows them. They suggest using the lightest carmelized onions, or "blonde", for French onion soup (the ones all the way to the left). The darkest ones (on the right) are good for topping hamburgers. 

From reading their article, I think I will try cooking at a lower heat for a longer period of time.  I will also try using grapeseed oil.   

Happy cooking!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Super Contributor

I always add a little sugar to mine, too.

Respected Contributor

Have to cook them low and slow ...

Trusted Contributor

@Stargazer77

My very favorite food group; I roast my onions most always.

My DH believes I would eat them if they came off of a car bumper.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

i could eat caramelized onions every single day!

i agree about the tip low and slow when you are sauteing  them. i like the onions slice relatively thin.i prefer using a non-stick pan and allow approximately half an hour to do a good job, watching them closely and stirring frequently. i also add a touch of sugar.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

low and slow, I don't add sugar. How far to let them go depends on the use. In some Indian recipes I let them go very dark. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Carmalized onions are great, I made them once I added a little brown sugar which seemed to help the process aglong very well

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

Have never made this myself, but I copied this a while ago (don't know the source) and saved it to my recipe files. It looks like an easy time saver for carmelizing onions.  I guess you could add some sugar if you are inclined to do your onions that way.

CARMELIZED ONIONS IN SLOW COOKER    

6 large onions, halved and sliced thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried, divided

Before you go to bed, toss together the onions, olive oil, and thyme sprigs in a slow cooker. Set it to Low.

In the morning, you’ll have gorgeously caramelized onions.