Respected Contributor

Scouring the shelves all summer for canning lids (don't need rings) with no success.  Today happened into Ace Hardware and they had canning lids in packages that were red, white and blue coloring.  Brand is PUR.  Nowhere on packaging does it say where manufactured.  I emailed the manufacturer and the reply was China.  I am not a brand snob, but I am concerned about product integrity.  Reviews are varied.  I think I will return.  Too much at stake and trust is not there!

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom I think that is the wise move. If they used less than quality materials, the results could be awful. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Canning Lids

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom : I totally understand. Several people told me that it is safe to use the canning lids for a second time provided they are clean . I haven't tried this yet. I haven't done any canning for several years until this year. Friends requested my pepper jelly. In July my DH purchased the Ball electric canner and the Ball Jam and Jelly maker. I use the 4 ounce jelly jars I found two cases of the jars but had trouble finding the lids. I finally found one pack and that's when several people said if you had the brand name lids it was safe to use them again. Now in my area everything is sold out but can find a few boxes of the powder pectin. I hope you will soon find what you need. I have never used the lids a second time because people told me they had. I do not have a garden and purchase everything needed to make my jelly and considering the cost of everything and food safety. I am looking for more jars. Friends requested that I use the 8 ounce jars and I told them that is more expensive and time consuming. They said just wanted to express how much they liked the jelly. They are assuming and stated that they wanted and will be given more jelly for the holidays. Nope they are off my list of home made jelly but have found other hot pepper jelly and purchased one jar to be included in the Christmas basket. I gave my SIL six of the 4 ounce jars and told her to enjoy but save for the holidays. She told me the other day that my jelly is very addictive and she puts it on everything and consumed two jars in one week. I told her not making any more jelly until the spring.She said but I know you will give me more for the holidays........she will be very upset and disappointed.

@Twins Mom wrote:

Scouring the shelves all summer for canning lids (don't need rings) with no success.  Today happened into Ace Hardware and they had canning lids in packages that were red, white and blue coloring.  Brand is PUR.  Nowhere on packaging does it say where manufactured.  I emailed the manufacturer and the reply was China.  I am not a brand snob, but I am concerned about product integrity.  Reviews are varied.  I think I will return.  Too much at stake and trust is not there!

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom I haven't canned for quite a few years, but I always used Ball or Kerr lids and jars. I've never heard of PUR, but that doesn't surprise me since I haven't canned in a long time. I think you are wise to return them. Also I have never heard of using the lids over again. I would think once the seal has been sealed and opened that seal is no longer going to be air tight as it was when it was new. I really have to question that one.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@Twins Mom I haven't canned for quite a few years, but I always used Ball or Kerr lids and jars. I've never heard of PUR, but that doesn't surprise me since I haven't canned in a long time. I think you are wise to return them. Also I have never heard of using the lids over again. I would think once the seal has been sealed and opened that seal is no longer going to be air tight as it was when it was new. I really have to question that one.

I also never heard of reusing the lids no matter how clean they were. I also have not canned anything in a few years. But there is no way I could bring myself to reuse a lid. 

And I must admit I had trouble finding lids. Last time I canned I had to buy complete sets of jars, lids and rings, just to get the lids. I now have many jars in the attic. Guess I should throw all the cases away. I can't see myself canning in the future.

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom 

I found them at Meijer if you have one in the area.  They were the lids and screw caps in one package.  Not too expensive, around $5 so I didn't think that was too bad.

If I read correctly I saw those PUR lids too but somewhere doesn't it say good for only 8 months??

I passed.

Ladies, please do not reuse your lids, once they formed a seal they should not be reused.  You can reuse the screw caps but not the lids.

Respected Contributor

The lids were in short supply last year also, so I looked for them each time I went to the store.  I found some in January but was limited to 2 packs.  I bought them throughout the year whenever I saw some.  I had to buy rings/lids most of the time.  Then I bought the jars at Target because the complete set was almost the same price as the lids.  I also bought some Kerr lids from Amazon but it took a couple weeks to receive them.

I can imagine that used lids would properly seal for a second time.  It's not worth the risk.

Honored Contributor

I'm in several FB groups that focus on canning, and lids have been scarce all year most places. I started looking in early spring, and found quite a few in odd places like small local hardware stores, and picked up enough to get me though probably 2 years or more. Glad I did pick up a few everywhere I went, because by June, they were nowhere to be found around here.

I will only buy Ball lids. I did have a friend find some Harvest brand (I think that is what they were called) and they are made by the same parent company as Ball, both in the USA, and they have been ok so far. 

I have seen so many fails in my groups, using no name and made in China lids this year. They are not sealing or buckling and wrinkling after coming out of the canner. 

Canning is extremely hard work, and it's definitely not worth trusting unknown or inferior lids. 

Respected Contributor
@ drizilla
Donate the jars. I bought many of my jars at Savers. Sad we have to buy more than we need in this environmentally conscious era.
Respected Contributor

I sterilize and reuse my lids and have never had a problem.