Trusted Contributor

Can you eat frozen foods that have thawed?

This has happened to me a few times now. A bag of frozen corn and a tv dinner thawed. I called one company and of course they said to throw it away. I don't understand why it would be bad to eat it when you still are going to cook it.

Comments? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Can you eat frozen foods that have thawed?

It's a safety issue.  Food poisoning is not to be taken lightly.  Right now is not the time to be in the hospital as well.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee - I'd be careful. I think it would be OK if it has just thawed and you cook it right away. I would never however touch seafood unless you are the one controlling the defrosting. We will see what others say!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

This has happened to me a few times now. A bag of frozen corn and a tv dinner thawed. I called one company and of course they said to throw it away. I don't understand why it would be bad to eat it when you still are going to cook it.

Comments? 

@geegerbee 

We're missing an important point here .....   

If something was in the freezer, then put in the fridge and thawed, it didn't go above a temp in the 30s or low 40's ... right?   I don't see any danger.  

(IMO, it also depends on how long it was in the fridge)

However ... if you left something frozen out on the counter all night and  it got to even close to room temperature, TOSS IT.   

Honored Contributor

I do it frequently but only keep it refrigerated a day if it's a casserole or a couple days for something like corn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I few weeks ago we had a power outage for 7 hours on a 109 degree day.  I had 3 frozen dinners in the freezer and threw them out.  The frozen veggies should be OK so I kept those.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

Comments? 

@geegerbee 

Yes.  Smell it. If it doesn't stink, you can eat it.

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely. Just use common sense tips others have noted.
Honored Contributor

"If it doesn't stink you can eat it ? ? ?"  Are you serious?  I once had a job at a local bar.  My instructions were the same for the homemade bean soup they served.  I quit shortly thereafter, not willing to risk the health of the customers.  

Valued Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@geegerbee wrote:

Comments? 

@geegerbee 

Yes.  Smell it. If it doesn't stink, you can eat it.

if meat, cook asap.