Super Contributor

Can someone pls explain to me the difference between GreenPan and GreenLife pan or rec a good +

I am trying to find a good inexpensive pan for my widowed father who likes non stick, really likes inexpensive, but he is so hard on pans and has torn up more than one non-stick pan in his day. 

I've been deabting the GreenPan or the GreenLife pan. The GreenPan I see online at BB&B, and the GreenLife pan I see online at the really big (walls of mart) boxstore. I am just wondering what the difference is? The sticker on the insides of the pans from both places are the same: 'Thermolon Ceramic Nonstick'.  The insised and outsides (online) look the same, just the handles look different. Is there a difference..?    

I don't know why I am drawn to these pans for him. Is there a difference..? 

And/or can someone recommend a good 8" skillet/pan that is expensive, preferably non-stick, and can take a beating..? My brother found him a good 10" one while on vacation, but the brand does not make an open stock 8". Dad really only needs an 8" pan now. His other sized pots are fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can someone pls explain to me the difference between GreenPan and GreenLife pan or rec a good +

@msh8970 wrote:

I am trying to find a good inexpensive pan for my widowed father who likes non stick, really likes inexpensive, but he is so hard on pans and has torn up more than one non-stick pan in his day. 

I've been deabting the GreenPan or the GreenLife pan. The GreenPan I see online at BB&B, and the GreenLife pan I see online at the really big (walls of mart) boxstore. I am just wondering what the difference is? The sticker on the insides of the pans from both places are the same: 'Thermolon Ceramic Nonstick'.  The insised and outsides (online) look the same, just the handles look different. Is there a difference..?    

I don't know why I am drawn to these pans for him. Is there a difference..? 

And/or can someone recommend a good 8" skillet/pan that is expensive, preferably non-stick, and can take a beating..? My brother found him a good 10" one while on vacation, but the brand does not make an open stock 8". Dad really only needs an 8" pan now. His other sized pots are fine. 

@msh8970

A while back I bought a set of Green Pans - 3 different sizes - from Costco. I only used the 8" and it was horrible. Everything stuck. I returned it. I bought the 8" T-Fal non-stick from Walmart - and it's much better.

I also bought a set of Tramontina non-stick - 3 sizes - from Costco - and use the 8" often. Excellent.

Even though they're non-stick, I still use a little butter or olive oil.

Super Contributor

Re: Can someone pls explain to me the difference between GreenPan and GreenLife pan or rec a good +

Thanks kivah, I will check out the T-Fal one, also. TY.

Honored Contributor

America's Test Kitchen always recommends the TFal for a nonstick pan.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I've tried other brands; ALWAYS come back to T-Fal. :-) :-) :-) 

Esteemed Contributor

About half of my metal cookware is T-Fal.

T-Fal has a range of good- better- best. 

He might be better off with a pair of less expensive "goods" rather than a "best" if he tears them up so badly.

Super Contributor

Interesting to see so many rec's for T-Fal. We did buy him a ginmorous (I am guessing the size) 12" T-Fal skillet a couple years ago, but the screw often needs tightened, like every time he uses the pan. But knock on wood, the interior of it has held up decently for the 2 or so years that he has had it and I have never really heard him complaining of stuff sticking to it. 

Respected Contributor

I have a set of GreenPans from several years back. They may have changed, but if not, don't buy them. They start out fine but lose the nonstick property quickly, discolor, and just generally don't perform well. I still use them for things like frying up chicken or burgers, but for serious, prolonged cooking, I dig out the Le Crueset or the heavy copper. 

I don't know of a cheap pan that's also a long-term performer. I'll be reading replies to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

@msh8970,   a few years ago I  found some well made, heavy duty, non-stick, hard anodized exterior, with RIVITED HANDLES from  Wearever. They were an excellent value for the price.

Regular Contributor

I've had the GreenPan and totally agree with the review --- it doesn't retain the non-stick for very long, and discolors quickly.  I'll also add that where the handle is rivited to the pan is hollow inside and dishwater goes in there and then dribbles out when you least expect it to (like all over your dress on Sunday morning when you're in a hurry!!!).  So no---I don't recommend!

I do love and recommend, the Zwilling Energy line.  All of the line comes either in sets or via open stock; and they make an 8" pan.  Although not cheap (I think the 8" is $79) I wait for the BB&B coupon and then get 20% off.  So I've been replacing my pieces one coupon at a time, and the oldest of the Zwillings look and perform exactly like the newest ones!   They last very well (the oldest of the replacements is about 3 years old now), the non-stick stays non-stick, and they wash very well.  The handle is solid--not hollow--and water doesn't get in.