Respected Contributor

Re: Cake Decorators’ Advice Requested

My instructor always used a box of cake mix plus a box of pound cake mix.

Her results from what I remembered where quite good but since my mom taught me to make home made cakes, I rarely use a box anymore.

I did buy just to try the Cake Boss and also Duff's but that was "once around" and won't buy again.

Making home made cakes is rather quite easy, I was always afraid but not any more, the taste of scratch can't even come close to a box cake mix. What takes the time is getting your dry ingredients ready, then the rest is easy.

Regular Contributor

VaBelle 35 and IamMrsG: You both mention using yellow cake mixes. Have either of you used any white mixes?? And Belle.....you include butter in your recipe. Do you melt it or not? TIA

Honored Contributor

http://gilstermarylee.com/?q=products

found this site with info on product line, recipes and a number to contact them. I assume it is the cake mix you are wanting.

I just recently finished a 12 week cake decorating program through Wilton and they recommended Duncan Hines/Betty Crocker and taught us how to add ingredients such as sour cream, fruit juice, etc. They also gave us a recipe to make it from scratch but she shared she's always had success with these mixes and be sure to measure the exact amount of batter to fill each baking pan for consistency.

You can go to the wilton site and they will give you information on baking times, ingredients and more.

Super Contributor

Great information.

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2014 AnneMary said:

VaBelle 35 and IamMrsG: You both mention using yellow cake mixes. Have either of you used any white mixes?? And Belle.....you include butter in your recipe. Do you melt it or not? TIA

No, I have never done white. I do either Duncan Hines Devil's Food or Yellow. I'm boring, I know.

I don't melt the butter, I do let it get super soft though. I leave it out at least 24 hours (same with eggs).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure I've ever used a yellow cake mix myself. Mostly white unless something else is requested. My last wedding cake was red velvet.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I wonder if the white/yellow preference is a regional or generational preference.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

On 2/28/2014 VaBelle35 said:

I wonder if the white/yellow preference is a regional or generational preference.

I don't know. I pretty much am self taught and just assumed white was what I should use unless otherwise requested. I've got Wilton books from the 70's.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

This is a very belated Thank You to everyone who responded to my search for a new formula for my decorated cakes. You all are tremendous.

Because of your help, I have come up with a satisfactory substitution for the Gilster / Mary Lee Corp. generic cake mix I can no longer find. For those who might be interested, here it is:

Decorated Cake Formula

3/4 cup syrup drained from canned fruits (I use canned peaches)

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup eggs

1 envelope Dream Whip

1 Duncan Hines Classic yellow cake mix + the vegetable oil called for on the box

Three days before serving:

Prepare two cake pans by greasing all areas and lining the bottoms with paper towel circles cut to fit.

Chill all liquid ingredients thoroughly. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, at high speed. Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes.

After cakes have cooled, crumb coat and allow coating to dry (preferably overnight). Apply frosting, using a hot-water knife to smooth frosting to a perfectly smooth coating. Allow to set-up to create a thin 'crust' before decorating.

Icing

2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted (10X with 3% cornstarch)

1 cup Crisco – no other brand

½ cup water, or less

3 teaspoons extracts (I use 50/50 vanilla and almond)

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.