Respected Contributor

Cake Decorators’ Advice Requested

I was a home-based cake decorator a few decades ago. Now that I am a grandmother, the urge is returning. The problem is that I can no longer find the cake mix my old formula used. Here is the ingredient list I used:

3/4 cup syrup drained from canned fruits

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup eggs

1 envelope Dream Whip

1 generic yellow cake mix*

*Must be manufactured by Gilster/ Mary Lee Corp.; Chester, Illinois 62233

This resulted in a moist and flavorful cake, and I would very much like to be able to reproduce it. I have contacted the Gilster Mary Lee Corp. twice about finding their product, but have received no reply. So, are there any experienced cake decorators among you willing to share your formula for producing a bakery-type two layer yellow cake? I would be very appreciative as a family member has a birthday coming soon.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cake Decorators’ Advice Requested

Found an article that says Duncan Hines has bought the company. Apparently Gilster has been manufacturing for Duncan Hines the past 15 years.

http://www.perryvillenews.com/news/article_3b191188-8d22-11e3-a00b-0017a43b2370.html

Just found the order form. Go to all bulk foods dot com looks like you have to buy 12 boxes

Trusted Contributor

Try woodlandbakeryblog.com. This is a blog by a professional baker (and CIA graduate), and she provides lots of blogs on home versions of her professional bakeries. She also has a great YouTube channel where she demonstrates many of her recipes.

I think anyone interested in baking will find it quite informative.

Honored Contributor

I only use Duncan Hines. All of my Wilton cake decorating instructors and non-Wilton instructors say to use Duncan Hines, so that's what I use.

This is the sheet cake recipe I have been making since High School. This is a recipe from my non-step sister's deceased mother. I have no idea where it came from, but I'll guess it's a recipe from BHG or other magazine of the time. It makes about 14 cups. I cut it down for tiered cakes or make cupcakes with the remaining batter.

This is for a half sheet (18 x 12 x 2):

2 Boxes Yellow Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines)

2 Boxes Vanilla Instant Pudding

1 Cup Butter

1 1/2 Cups Milk

2 Teaspoons Vanilla

10 eggs (yes I said 10!)

Beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored. Add butter, milk and vanilla. Then add dry ingredients. Beat well.

For icing

2 pints Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

My poor fondant was cracking. It was 102 degrees that day with 100% humidity. LOL I'm surprised the fondant didn't slide off before I could cut it.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

This is it as a double layer (I made the recipe twice and baked 2 full half sheet pans to make a full sheet cake, vertically).

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

yummy...

Respected Contributor

I've never done any more than add a small box of instant pudding. I know people who add sour cream tho.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

The company has a phone number listed, 618-826-2361. Why don't you call them?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I used to bake cakes and my decorating instructor told my class to only use Betty Crocker cake mixes.

I read here it's Duncan Hines.

Your recipe sounds good with the pudding, I'm going to try it.