Trusted Contributor

I'm looking for a good cake decorating kit with a good assortment of supplies.  It's for my 14yr neighbor for Christmas.  I know Wilton is a good brand but their kits seem limited compared to others on Amazon.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated..Two years ago her mother and I went together and got her a kitchen aid mixer.  She uses the heck out of it...always baking.  Thanks DW 

Valued Contributor

@dancingwoman @Are you looking for sprinkles, frosting tip kits, punch outs, tools for baking? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Cake Decorating Kit

[ Edited ]

Buy Wilton please it's a name that has been known and lasts for years.  I still have my basic tips from decorating school where I learned.

Wilton's website has a introductory 15% off, there's free ship after $40.   

Not sure how much you want to spend but there's a wide range or products available.

There 's a basic buttercream cake decorating 13 pc set fr $13.56.   Not sure what Amazon has but even from Amazon please buy Wilton.

Hope that helps.

JoAnn Fabrics also has a great assortment of Wilton products including pans, sprinkles etc.  If you are near a JoAnn, that would be an idea too.

Respected Contributor

Have you looked at William Sonoma? Don't know if you just want different pastry tips, or tools also. Some of their items can seem like an investment, but if it's something that may serve her in the long term future it could be worth it

Respected Contributor

Another idea would be

Wilton's Preferred Press Cookie Press

( I had a Pampered Chef one and I just didn't like

ti made just big and thick cookies)  My discs were plastic and the one's from Wilton are metal.

Includes one press and 12 discs

or

Easy Layer Cake Pan Set

4 pans 8" dia

Can use one box cake recipe or one home made cake recipe and create a 4 layer torte.

Both boxed for easy wrapping.

Gift from me to me.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

An other idea is to periodically check Home Goods. You never know what they'll get in prior to the holidays.

Valued Contributor

@dancingwoman  When I started down my journey of baking, I received the best gift ever from my Mom. She took a very large Mixing Bowl and filled it with fantastic baking/pastry fun! It included cake spatulas, a Wilton Cake set with bags and tips, food paste coloring, 3sets of sprinkles, a rolling pin, a Wilton Baking Cookbook, a confectioner sugar shaker and 2 round springform pans. I loved every bit of it! As time went on, I wanted more and more! What a great thing for you to give as a gift! I'm sure she'll love whatever you decide. Stick with quality and you can't go wrong! 

Honored Contributor

I would agree that you should go with Wilton.  I even had cake decorating classes back in the day.

It isn't the "stuff" you need--it is a creative mind and good equipment. 

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling @Sooner @HonestLife @Etoile308  Thanks everyone!  I'll stick to Wilton..

I already got her 3 OXO cookie scoops..I like the idea of filling a big mixing bowl with an assortment of things.  We live in a small town in SW Colorado..there isn't a Home Goods here.  We have a Bed Bath and Beyond here..and I can of course buy online. 

I just went to the Wilton site and I see they have a deluxe tip set for 42.00...I'll look around there and put together an order...

Thx everyone again...DW

Respected Contributor

Before you buy compare their prices elsewhere. Check if Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics allow you to use coupons on Wilton.