Trusted Contributor

The Dr. Oz show today reviewed Costco Rotiss. Chicken against other store's chickens.  They interviewed a man from Costco and another man who did the interview from the show.  Costco's rotiss. chickens are not the same as the whole raw chickens sold in the store.  They are purchased specifically for rotiss.  They do not have additives and cooked ones are only under the heat lamps for two hours and then removed for use in prepared dishes that they make.

The rotiss. chickens are stamped with the time they are put out so they know when two hours are up.  Other store chicken are sometimes injected with liquid additives to make them plump.

They said Costco's rotiss. chickens are sold for less than it costs the store to make. It's a leader item and they hope you will shop for other items when getting your chicken.  I've always purchased their chickens because they are at least 3 lbs. while  other stores are 27 - 30 oz. and sold in my neighborhood stores for more money.  LOVE COSTCO!!!  Doesn't hurt that my dtr. has worked for them for almost 2 decades!  They are a wonderful employer

Trusted Contributor

Re: COSTCO ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GALwrote:

The Dr. Oz show today reviewed Costco Rotiss. Chicken against other store's chickens.  They interviewed a man from Costco and another man who did the interview from the show.  Costco's rotiss. chickens are not the same as the whole raw chickens sold in the store.  They are purchased specifically for rotiss.  They do not have additives and cooked ones are only under the heat lamps for two hours and then removed for use in prepared dishes that they make.

The rotiss. chickens are stamped with the time they are put out so they know when two hours are up.  Other store chicken are sometimes injected with liquid additives to make them plump.

They said Costco's rotiss. chickens are sold for less than it costs the store to make. It's a leader item and they hope you will shop for other items when getting your chicken.  I've always purchased their chickens because they are at least 3 lbs. while  other stores are 27 - 30 oz. and sold in my neighborhood stores for more money.  LOVE COSTCO!!!  Doesn't hurt that my dtr. has worked for them for almost 2 decades!  They are a wonderful employer

@WORKING GAL  That’s strange because our Costco ROTISSERIE chickens have lots of additives and list them on the package. I had to quit buying them because of that. I wonder why some stores would put in additives and some don’t?  Odd.

Esteemed Contributor

@WORKING GAL I think your info is spot on. Our neighbor worked in that dept. after he retired, and he told the same story. I would never hesitate to buy them or the other food items made with the meat.

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL...thank you for that info!

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I've heard the same story.  The chicken is consistent.  Haven't had a bad one.

Esteemed Contributor

Love their chicken!! Love the way they treat their employees even more.And of course their customer service is unbeatable!! 

Esteemed Contributor

"That’s strange because our Costco ROTISSERIE chickens have lots of additives and list them on the package. I had to quit buying them because of that. I wonder why some stores would put in additives and some don’t?  Odd." @Ketra

A quick Google search shows your information is correct. Here is a list of ingredients that go into the rotisserie chickens. 

Image result for do costco rotisserie chickens have additives

Not that it makes the chicken a bad choice, and as the article I read mentioned, it's a pretty healthy choice for a processed food. Personally I love the rotisserie chicken I buy at Sam's Club and will continue to buy. I imagine they're very similar.

Here's a link to some of the information that was shared on the Dr. Oz show mentioned in the OP.

http://www.mashed.com/94930/truth-costcos-5-rotisserie-chicken-will-surprise/

Esteemed Contributor

@WORKING GAL, thanks for posting this.  I only purchase Costco's rotisserie chicken, and I am not surprised that it is a cost leader.  I don't think anyone goes into Costco without purchasing things that they had not planned for.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Do people actually believe what they hear on the Dr. Oz Show?  I don't.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I used to love Costco's rotisserie chicken but discoved my local Meijer stores and theirs is so much more tasty!! Mmmm

"Pure Michigan"