Super Contributor

CHRISTMAS DINNER PARTY QUESTION

So I am planning on having 8-10 people for a sit down holiday dinner in a few days.

I was thinking about ordering some platters to add to my homemade dishes.

Maybe some pasta platters - like baked ziti or stuffed shells, etc.

Question - How do people transfer the food to their own serving dishes without making a mess??

I want to pass the food off as my own

Honored Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS DINNER PARTY QUESTION

I do this often....mix home made with store made. I just move it to my own pots or dishes to be warmed up then I will either use the same dish or transfer to another serving dish. However I never pretended that certain things were made by me. I never felt the need to do that.

What will you say if someone asks what is in a certain dish that you bought ready made?

Respected Contributor

Many people mix home made with store bought. I would be truthful. Why pretend you spent time and talent cooking when you did not? Your guests won't care. They are just glad to be together!! Enjoy your party.

Honored Contributor

I want to add an easy way to make it look like you baked it is to transfer it to your own dish then sprinkle the top with cheese and maybe some extra sauce. It will blend right in and look seemless.

Regular Contributor

Oh brother! Don't lie, just be honest.

Honored Contributor

I would feel so guilty if I misrepresented that I made the dishes myself. What's to be ashamed of? Especially these days when so many people are so busy at holiday time.

Honored Contributor

I do this all the time and I have for years. It's what hostesses do now. I have never heard anyone ask a hostess "did you make everything on the menu with your own two hands?" LOL. Pasta dishes can easily be transfered to your serving dishes. If you baked your own stuffed shells. You'd transfer then to serving dishes. No one will suspect that you have catered dishes unless you tell people but honestly, no one would care anyway. When someone compliment you on the delicious meatballs; just say "thank you".

Honored Contributor

I love all my temptations pieces BUT never cook in them.

I know it's double work but everything gets transferred (store or homemade)..I just try to make it presentable by adding some garnish, if necessary.

(Although I've never attempted to transfer lasagna😉).

And I have no problem letting others know when I store buy something sometimes it's not worth my time or money to home make it because it's delicious!

Just enjoy your company🙂 @qvc chick

Honored Contributor

If the food is good no one will care if you made it nor not and doubt they'll ask. If they compliment you on the catered food, just say "glad you like it" and let it go!

Honored Contributor

Better hope no one asks for the recipe. Best to be honest.