Super Contributor

In my bread machine, the yeast always goes in last on top of the previously added and mounded up dry ingredients. The yeast should NOT go into any liquid that was added as part of the recipe. Also, they now sell bread machine yeast. I have no idea what is special about it as I have not purchased it, but it is probably stabilized in some way so that you do not have to be so darned careful about not getting it wet if you miss your dry pile of ingredients, or if the ingredients sit for a long while on a delayed start.

It can take some firmness to get the bread pot in the machine just right. Also, they usually go in in a specific direction, so read the manual carefully. Good luck and have fun! Bread machines are awesome!

Honored Contributor

Buy an inexpensive instant read thermometer and check the water temperature.  It shouldn't be too cold or hot or even too warm (over 115 to 120) or it might kill the yeast. 

That's a common mistake.  Bread machine yeast is usually also called instant yeast.  Active dry yeast is used in some recipes though.  The safest thing is read the directions for your particular machine!

But bread machines are wonderful and simple when you follow a few steps, using the kind of flour and yeast called for in a recipe. 

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09Your post brought back some fond memories.

When my oldest was a toddler, I was "Little Miss Betty Crocker" when it came to making bread from scratch.  I can still remember to this day the way the whole house smelled. 

I did all kinds of breads.  My specialty was "French bread."

I could only make bread from scratch when my oldest took a nap.  To this day, I do not remember how I did that.  I do not remember using a receipe.  My MIL made everything from scratch.  She must have taught me as she was the "yeast" expert.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Shiloh09 wrote:

I decided to take out the hand me down bread machine my sister gave me a number of years ago. I can no longer find packaged bread machine bread mixes so i thought i would make my own. I googled recipes and settled on one. The directions for the french bread were pretty much the same: add each recipe ingredient in the order the manufacturer states. Water goes in first, followed by flour, salt, sugar and yeast. i made a little well in the flour and added the yeast. What a 3.5 hour hot mess! The water and 1/2 the flour mixed and made a nice crust. However when i opened the lid after timer went off, the rest of the flour and all the yeast had not been mixed, much less kneaded. It is quite possible that the "bucket" was not seated properly. Regardless, my question is this: Does anyone know whether the yeast must be activated before adding to the flour?  I am not a baker, but the directions for every recipe were as simple as what i outlined above....even in the owners manual! None of them said activate the yeast according to package directions. I am determined to get this right! 

No. You don't activate the yeast. Sounds like you have a lemon.

Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Shiloh09   It sounds like the pan wasn't properly seated.  Remember to have the liquid lukewarm (not too hot or cold), and the yeast and flour needs to be fresh, not old.

Good luck, I've had good luck with my bread machine, especially making dough for rolls, and cinnamon/raisin bread.

I'm sure the bread bakers on this site will offer their suggestions for types of flour, and other tips to make a perfect loaf of bread.

I have a Zojirushi bread maker, you do not heat the water for the yeast, the breadmaker  does it before it starts. My recipe you use milk, not water, and I put it in the machine strait out of the refrigerator. When you are making the crusty bread, you use right out of the tap.Tell us what kind of a machine you have. Also was it shot ,the reason your sister gave it away. Ask her if it made good bread.

Honored Contributor

Red Star makes a fast acting yeast that says "Ideal for bread machines"

only thing I use works great.and is fast you can use the 'Quick' cycle

think her problem was it wasn't mixing good.. think it was her blades that spin around and handle the flip flopping of the dough ball

Honored Contributor

This is the only yeast I use.

Image result for saf yeast

Honored Contributor

My previous bread machine you just put the yeast on top. Liquids always went in first with dry on top.

With the Panasonic machine I'm using now you put in dry ingredients first than wet. There is a yeast dispenser on the top of the lid. It drops in the bread machine about 20 mins after it's started.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

sounds like you didn't have the 'spinners' in place what is it you call those

metal pieces that does the mixing, I forget.   My 'Zo' machine has 2.

May have to buy a more current machine don't have to have a  'Zo' pricey machine, Cuisinart makes a good one. Bed & Bath has them

@SharkE 

They already have deals on some for Black Friday. It's a good time to buy one if you need it. 

Honored Contributor

After I brought out a machine I hadn't used in year s it didn't work properly.  I bought the mini Zo and love it.  I haven't bought bread in 4 years (only rolls for Christmas).  LIke someone said, maybe the pan wasn't seated correctly.    Also, the yeast does go on top and can't sit in the water.  The  machine mixes it into the flour.