Trusted Contributor

I am considering getting a bread machine.  Any suggestions as to what brand, model, etc. is good?  TIA

Valued Contributor

The Sweethome site (NY Times) says this, 

We spent 35 hours researching, testing, and retesting six bread machines (plus many more hours waiting for 30 loaves of bread to bake), and we think that the West Bend 41410 2.5-pound Hi-Rise Bread Maker is the best machine for most people. It handled white bread, whole wheat bread, and several gluten-free recipes with ease, and it’s one of the few models that bakes a standard-shaped bread loaf. It proofs, kneads, and bakes evenly, and it does so for a reasonable price.

Not many bread machines make a loaf in a standard shape like this one. The West Bend also kneads and bakes evenly, producing tall, domed, golden brown loaves for a fraction of the price of comparable high-end machines. $70 from Walmart.

Their upgrade pick is this...

For bread-baking enthusiasts, the Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker is a top-of-the-line machine. Like the West Bend, it makes a standard 9-by-5-inch loaf, and its two kneading paddles, powerful motor, and even temperatures yield lofty, golden brown breads. It also allows you to program your own settings in addition to 10 pre-programmed options (ranging from gluten-free to whole wheat), which is useful for anyone interested in tweaking or experimenting with recipes. But it’s a very large machine, and at around $300 (S254 from Amazon), it may not be worth the expense unless you like to play around with making a lot of different breads on a regular basis.

Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker

A favorite among the pros, the Zojirushi is sturdy, super reliable, and makes a standard shaped loaf. But it may not be worth the nearly-$300 price tag unless you’re a bread obsessive.

To see the URLs, go to the Sweethome  dot com website.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bread Machine Recs

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue  I have had four bread machines since 1992 and we use them often.  One Hitachi bought in 92 that was very good; a Breadman which was ok; a Mini Zo; and a full sized Zo.

By far the one we use most often is the mini Zo.  It always turns out a fabulous loaf of bread.  You really don't have to add a little more flour or water very often to the mixing dough and it shapes nice loaves.  The big Zo is more picky and sometimes you have to adjust a little after it kneads awhile.

Zo has a new model of the little one, but have not tried it out myself.

Honored Contributor

I have a Panasonic. We use it mostly to make dough. We don't care for the shape/size loaf bread machines make. We use a 12 x 4 bread pan to make the bread in. 

Frequent Contributor

We've had the "Mini Zo" for quite awhile.  If there's just two of you, it makes the perfect loaf.  It's not cheap, but it is a great little machine.

Super Contributor

Mini Zo....my favorite!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Bread Machine Recs

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue

I have a very old bread machine from 1988, a Regal and it still works just fine, I replaced the paddle and parts company said that Hitachi made the machine for Regal.  It does not have any of the fancy new settngs so I purchased a backup.

Also have the Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery 1-Pound-Loaf Mini Breadmaker; also purchased Breadman TR520; this basic model does 1, 1-1/2, 2 lb loaves, has the new functions and it was under $50 at Amazon.  The only thing I dislike about this Breadman model is that the front panel is in yellow with white writing (ON/OFF/START etc) which is used to display in the digital window; hard to see and a major complaint of that model. I knew that when I purchased,  made readable  labels for the front and attached.

The Regal serves me as well as the Breadman for a larger loaf, Zo is only for a 1 lb loaf. Zo was much more expensive and is the better breadmaker.  Both Zo, Breadman and others are available on Amazonn, go there and read the reviews for the different models available, that is how I chose Zo and Breadman. Also read the reviews for Zo on King Arthur website since I purchase their products for my bread baking. I have been a bread baker for more than 50 years; purchased a breadmachine as a novelty and convenience, it turned into being a staple and have loved my Regal/Hitachi for 29 years, will not give it up, will always repair until not able......

Honored Contributor

@poppinfresh wrote:

Mini Zo....my favorite!!

That's what I have also.  Love the size and it's easy to move if I want to take it off the counter.  I use it at least twice a week--or more.  I like that it makes a one pound loaf.   I just had to replace the pan and that was rather expensive, but I didn't want to get a larger machine as I don't have the space for it and don't need larger loaves.  Got mine at BB& B --I think it was on sale, plus I used their coupon for 20% off.

Trusted Contributor

THANK YOU to all who took the time to reply.  I really appreciate the information, and will do more research on Amazon of the models you've all suggested.

Thanks again.  So many nice people on these boards.

Respected Contributor

I am a very serious bread/roll baker and have been for years.  My first 2 machines were Breadmans.  They were fine and did a good job.  I prefer to remove the dough and shape my own loaves.  I finally treated myself to a Zo.  Great, long lasting machines.  Before investing in an expensive machine make sure what your commitment to the process is.  I do recommend using King Arthur flours and their dried milk and buttermilk.  Really makes a difference in quality.