Contributor

Where are you finding small bone-in turkey breasts?  Seems they are seasonal and the ones I do find are 8-10 lb.  Are smaller ones readily available at your grocer?  If so, where do you shop and are they frozen or fresh?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

You are correct about this being a more seasonal item.   Right now all I'm finding in my local grocery stores are frozen turkey loaves, and frozen boneless rolled turkey breast.   

Respected Contributor

I can get frozen bone-in turkey breasts at Kroger or Walmart.  Butterball or Honeysuckle White.  Average weight is 6-10 pounds.  I prefer Honeysuckle white.  In the fall, I can get fresh from a local butcher. The fresh typically are 8-11 pounds.

Honored Contributor

I see them year around at Walmart and Albertson's.  They aren't with the poultry but are in a freezer case on the wall.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

yeah, you have to ask where there at. They're high !!!!!!!  I stock up at Christmas and Thanksgiving. I got a vertical narrow freezer out in the garage that is strictly for butter and chickens and turkeys. LOL

Valued Contributor

Re: Bone-in turkey breast

[ Edited ]

@sixteencharacter wrote:

Where are you finding small bone-in turkey breasts?  Seems they are seasonal and the ones I do find are 8-10 lb.  Are smaller ones readily available at your grocer?  If so, where do you shop and are they frozen or fresh?  Thank you.

@sixteencharacter, I think smaller bone-in turkey breasts are basically seasonal for many people.  For Thanksgiving 2015, I ordered a small one from my local butcher (fresh kill, not frozen).  There are only two of us, so I asked for the smallest possible, perhaps 6-7 lbs. tops, but I still got an 8.5 pounder.  

At first I thought what in the world will I do with this?  It all worked out because I was able to find several recipes to use up ALL of the turkey, and we didn't throw anything away except the bone.  The day after Thanksgiving, we had the turkey sliced with all the leftover Thanksgiving trimmings.  On Friday, I made a turkey salad with dried cranberries, walnuts, celery, and red onion dressed with a mayo and Dijon mustard dressing I made from scratch and served it with buttermilk biscuits (I broke down and used Pillsbury's...lol).  On Saturday, we had grilled turkey panini with Asiago cheese and fig preserves (to die for it was so delicious!), and on Sunday I made four turkey pot pies from scratch.  We ate two and froze two.  

Each dinner tasted very different, so we didn't feel like we were overdosing on turkey, and it was the first time EVER we ate the WHOLE thing.  If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a turkey breast smaller than 8 lbs.  I would, instead, try to plan out meals in advance using the leftovers in different ways.  We were so happy with how our turkey dinners turned out that we're going to do it again for next Thanksgiving.  

P.S.  I have never used a frozen turkey, always fresh kill.

Esteemed Contributor

If you can't find one small enough go with the larger size and ask the store's butcher to cut it in half.  Most stores will gladly do this.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Bone-in turkey breast

[ Edited ]

@sixteencharacter if you have a Trader Joe's by you they have fresh, half turkey breasts that are bone in and I believe they are kosher too.  One thing I can tell you is that they are delicious and always turn out great!

Honored Contributor

I can get frozen bone in turkey breasts as well as a fresh half breast or thigh at our local grocer.

You can ask your meat department to order you one.  Love to cut the back out and put it on the side so it will fit my oval crock pot.  Butter and spices.  Five hours later-done!

Contributor

Thank you all so much. These are great replies. I do have a Trader Joe's nearby, but never would have thought to check there. Duh!!! I feel much better that others have problems finding things also...not just me  ha!  Also thanks to Brooklynny for all the ideas for using up the leftovers.  Great ideas there.  You ladies are the best,  and I appreciate your taking the time to reply.