Valued Contributor

Re: Blast from the Past: Pasta Machines

I took a pasta class and learned to make all kinds of pasta that its not possible to find...pumpkin, chocolate, etc

Although I do not use it often, I'm glad to have it.

Super Contributor

I've had an Atlas pasta maker for more than 30 years. I use it to make noodles for chicken & noodles and for lasagna. I remember watching Julia Child (on TV) demonstrate her little Atlas maker. . .I remember her saying it would pay for it's self over a lifetime IF you used it. Mine was a gift, but I've certainly rolled out a lot of very delicious pasta over the years!

Honored Contributor

On 10/26/2014 lolakimono said:

Two reasons why-

1) low carb

2) gluten free

There are actually a relatively low number of people that are concerned with these things or eating diets around these two.

I'd say like everything else on Q, it ran it's course, they over saturated the market, and when people realized they never used them, they stopped buying.

Valued Contributor

Using the pasta making attachment to my KA mixer was always a little stressful, so I put the Phillips pasta making machine on my wish list and received it for Christmas from my daughter and her husband. It is so easy and the pasta is delicious, so much better than dried or the fresh pasta you buy pre packaged. Clean up is easy too. We are not on any special diets, so I am using it once a week and the family is thoroughly enjoying it. The texture is a little different than what I remember from the KA machine, it doesn't stick at all and I don't have to us thar drying rack. Love it!
Trusted Contributor

I inherited a big steel pasta, hand-crank machine from my mother. I swear you need 3 hands to do a good job with that! Then, DH bought me a Ron Popeil pasta maker. It was a pain to use and clean, plus my dog barked at it as if it was the vacuum! Now I have the KA attachment and I love it.

Frequent Contributor

I have an imported pasta machine that I use constantly. Mainly for making ravioli, as well as pirogi, and other dumplings which are so tasty. A silky smooth dough tastes better than anything I could buy.Really shines for making Lasagna noodles.

Lately, I've been using it to make pot-stickers, won-tons and other Asian delights. I had bought Lee Anne Wong's book, "Dumplings all day Wong" last September, and have been working my way through it. A great book that I highly recommend.

Enjoy!

Camo

Trusted Contributor

I have the past machine from Popeil, and enjoyed making my own pastas, out of spinach, beets, and such, but then semolina flour became unavailable where I lived, and it was before the knowledge or even start of Amazon, so I stopped.......Now, It is just not worth it to me, to make only for me...........Wink

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......