Trusted Contributor

Best vanilla extract online.

Kirkland is what I use but it can't be ordered online for mail delivery and I won't do the crowds. I swore by Nielsen-Massey vanillas until something changed in the company and now they are watered down; 1 star ratings where it used to be 5 stars. The last time I purchased a bottle there was no taste like something I bought at Aldi's (their own version). McCormick doesn't thrill me, I don't want to deal with paste (been there done that) and I don't want to make my own. 

Suggestions? 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

Re: Best vanilla extract online.

Let me preface this by saying that although I bought a bottle, I haven't opened it, much less used it. But last winter when I had baking fantasies and saw how expensive and scarce real vanilla was becoming, I read a recommendation (don't remember where) for Baker's Imitation Vanilla Flavor. I snagged an 8-ounce bottle for $0.98 on Amazon, but see it's now going for $6.49 and up.

What I recall reading about it was that it was a very good dupe for the real thing. There are tons of reviews to help you decide if you want to try it.

Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Penzeys.com

they actually make both single and double strength vanilla extracts

I was wanting the double strength to try a few months ago but they were out of it. Maybe it's back in stock now?

this is a great company!

Esteemed Contributor

Penzys all the way. Best all around spices in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

Haven't noticed any difference in Nielson-Massy Madagascar Bourbon purchased about a month ago. 

Valued Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  I used to do commercial baking and we prided our company on using unusual vanillas. My favorite right now is available on Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Store and it is Vain's Original Baker's Blend. It is smooth and flowery and intensely vanilla. Its 8 oz. for $33.00 and its worth every penny. If you can get your hands on REAL Mexican vanilla, then go for it, but there are too many fakes out there right now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy Simply Organic at my local grocery store.

After reading the other posts here, I think I will give Penzey's a try. 

Honored Contributor

Usamacinta Mexican vanilla is the only one I use. I sometimes just open the bottle to smell it. It's heavenly. You can buy it on Amazon.  

Super Contributor

• Penzeys.com
  • Williams-Sonoma.com
Honored Contributor

penzeys.....hands down......and i live in mccormick country. lol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein