Contributor

Re: Best Bought Mac and Cheese?

My nieces treasure two of my late Mom's recipes, her sweet potato casserole and Mac and cheese. The sweet potato casserole is a southern confection with sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, and pecans. Her Mac and cheese is Stouffer's frozen, switched into her own casserole dish, and cooked a few extra minutes so the edges are crispy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stouffer's!

Absolutely the best store bought!😋20220805_015920.jpg

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

@beach-mom,

That's so weird! My kids favorite growing up and into young adulthood was the regular boxed kraft mac and cheese.

Kraft Original Macaroni & Cheese Dinner Family Size (14.5 oz Box)

I always wondered how in the world they liked it so much. Such a plain slightly tasteless, glue like cardboard cheese lol!

Maybe it has to do with the same thing being a comfort, something they are familiar with no matter how awful.

I rarely eat mac & cheese, although I love it. I've aways bought  the blue box. Kraft. It's usually a quick fix when I don't feel like making anything. I add canned peas to it if I have them. That may seem weird. I also use pasta water since I don't buy milk. It's delicious.   

Respected Contributor

DH likes Stouffer's, too. I microwave it, stir in some Tabasco, then transfer to an oven-safe dish to bake until it gets that nice, crisp top he prefers.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

@Lynnabby wrote:
Bob Evans mac and cheese.

We didn't like Bob Evans.  Very bland and macaroni very overcooked.

Trusted Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

It's not frozen but it's simple.  Cracker Barrel in a box.  Just boil the pasta and then squeeze the cheese packet over it.  

These Cracker Barrel mac-n-cheese come in varieties too.  I bought one last week but I have not prepared it YET