Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Best Bought Mac and Cheese?

I think the Stouffers frozen one is pretty good.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

No matter which brand I buy, I usually "doctor" it with a pat or two of butter and a sprinkling of shredded sharp cheddar and reheat in the traditional oven

My grands think my "recipe" is their favorite, but they also like Wawa's or most fast food places.

AL L FOUR prefer Mac&Cheese or "Cheese and Trees" (mac&cheese and steamed broccoli for lunches at my house.

Esteemed Contributor

If there is a Trader Joe's near you, their frozen Diner Mac & Cheese is fabulous!

Valued Contributor

I love mac and cheese but haven't found a ready made or boxed one I like. I tried different recipes but my mother's was the best. She used a whole block of Velveeta ( not the kind they have now) eggs and lots of butter. It had to be baked until crispy on top. We fought over that. I like to hear suggestions of decent prepared foods I don't have to cook. If hubby wasn't living with me, meals would be simple. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love good mac and cheese and remember thinking my grandpa made the best. I believe he used block med cheddar, evaporated milk, butter and elbow macaroni. He baked it in the oven. Mmm, good memories. I guess the evaporated milk made it creamy, but I haven't tried to duplicate since my poor college days. My version was not great.

I have only tried a few frozen prepared mac and cheese when I was traveling for work. Can't say I would recommend any as I didn't care for the artificial flavorings. I have not tried TraderJoe's and will have to remember to check next time I am at store.

My two dils have requested I NOT feed the kids Kraft mac and cheese in the blue box...no matter how much the kids beg me to make. I also can't take them to McDonald's. Lol. I just have to laugh, but I do comply.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Regular Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My vote would be Hormel.  

My husband loves Hormel Mac & Cheese.  He mixes a package of frozen peas (thawed) in it.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Reser's makes a mac and cheese entree.

Honored Contributor

I go back and forth between Chick Filet and Arby's mac n cheese.  Arby's is a white cheddar and it is nice to change it up.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

It's been years, but Stouffer's Mac & Cheese (frozen) is the best.  For a lighter version, try Lean Cuisine, also frozen. (I believe both are owned by Nestle.)  Stouffer's M & C also comes in family-size. 

Valued Contributor

I have to agree with the Stouffer fans on here!  I think it is the best you can get for a quick and easy Mac and Cheese.  My mom used to bake hers and she even put a few canned tomatoes in it and topped it with bread triangles that would bake up crispy.  You would break through the top crispy baked layer to get to the gooey stuff underneath.

I have to live with the memories because I am too lazy to do anything but hit the microwave button.