Respected Contributor

Re: Barbarainnc: It's time to reprint your favorite fun recipes please!

Classic Meat Loaf

1 ½ lbs ground chuck

1 medium onion chopped up

1 egg

¾ c oatmeal, quick cook or old fashioned, uncooked 1 c of tomato sauce

½ t. salt, ¼ t. pepper and garlic powder to taste

Put all ingredients in a gallon zip top bag and squish away, mix thoroughly

Open bag and dump into a 7 by 11 pan or 9 by 13 pan or a loaf pan

Take a spoon and level the meat, bake at 350* for 75 minutes. Take out and put some ketchup over the top. Bake about 5 minutes more to let the ketchup cook on top. JJ

Mixing in a bag is easier, and no messy bowl to clean!!!! JJ

Respected Contributor

Eye of Round Roast

It doesn’t matter what size roast you get, it turns out every time.

Preheat oven to 450* Rub the roast with a little oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Put on a sheet pan, roast with the fat side up for 10 minutes. REDUCE OVEN to 250* and cook for 25 minutes per pound. DON’T OPEN THE OVEN. It will be med-rare. Remove to cutting board or platter. Lightly cover with foil and let set for 15-20 minutes. Slice now or refrigerate until cold for easier slicing.

If you want the meat more than med-rare, cook longer per pound.

Respected Contributor

Crab Cakes

½ c mayonnaise ½ teaspoon hot sauce

1 egg, lightly beaten 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained

1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard 1 c crushed Saltines( 20 crackers)

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

In a bowl mix the mayo, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. In another bowl mix the crabmeat and crushed crackers lightly with your hands. Don’t break up the lumps of crab. Carefully fold in the mayo mixture. Let stand for 3 minutes and shape into 8 patties. Place on waxed paper lined baking sheet, cover and chill for 1 hour. Fry cakes in medium heat oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Respected Contributor

Chocolate Chess Pie

1 stick butter, melted

2 squares of semi-sweet chocolate (melted)

1 cup sugar

Dash of salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs, beaten

9 inch pie shell

Mix all ingredients and pour into an unbaked 9 in pie shell. Bake 35 minutes at 350*.

Respected Contributor

Enchilada Sauce

2 T oil

2 T flour

1 T chili powder

garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste

1 cup of chicken broth

In a saucepan put the oil, flour, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir and cook a little to get rid of the raw flour taste. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth to prevent lumps. Cook until it thickens. Add a little more liquid if needed. Recipe can be doubled. Enjoy!! JJ

Respected Contributor

Microwave English Muffin Loaf

Grease a glass loaf pan (8.5X4.5) then sprinkle with cornmeal.

In a bowl put :

2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1/8 t. baking soda
Mix the dry ingredients.
Heat 1 cup milk and 1/4 c water to 120*-130*.
Add the wet to the dry ingredients. Stir well, put in the prepared pan, sprinkle with a little cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.

Bake in the microwave for:

800 Watt Oven- 4:53

900 Watt Oven- 4:20

1000 Watt Oven- 3:54

1100 Watt Oven- 3:33

1200 Watt Oven- 3:15

After baking let rest for 5 minutes, cool on a wire rack.
The bread won't be brown, just slice and put in the toaster. Makes great cinnamon toast or sandwiches. I doubled the recipe and made 2 loaves today!!! Bake loaves one at a time if recipe is doubled.

Respected Contributor

Susan at church gave me her grandmother's recipe for Brown Bread. This recipe can be used to make loaves or rolls. Enjoy.

Nan's Brown Bread

Put 1 cup of oatmeal (don't use instant) in a bowl, pour 3 cups of boiling water over the oatmeal. After 5 minutes add a heaping tablespoon of butter, stir to melt. When the mixture is lukewarm, add 1 cup of molasses. Then add 1 tablespoon or 1 packet of yeast, stir. In a measuring cup mix 1/2 c warm water and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, stir to dissolve. Then add this to the first mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add enough all purpose flour to make a firm dough. Knead. Let rise until it doubles. Knead and make into rolls or loaves, let rise until it doubles in size. Bake at 350*

I made 1/2 the recipe last night and made 15 rolls. I baked them in a 9 x 13 pan for about 25-30 minutes. I brushed them with butter after I took them out of the oven. I used my Kitchen Aid Stand mixer with dough hook to make it, or you can make it by hand. Enjoy!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Sub Roll recipe

1 cup lukewarm water. 3 cups high gluten flour or bread flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons melted shortening, 2 egg whites beaten till stiff, 2 1/4 teaspoons of dry yeast. Sesame seeds for top. Cut dough into halves, shape, place on greased pan. Beat egg yolks for brushing on top of bread add seeds. Cover and let bread rise till it doubles in size. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Tap bottom of loaves to hear a hollow sound. Makes 2 12 inch rolls

Respected Contributor

This is one of the most unusual recipes I have ever made. My friend Debbie, let me try it and I had to have the recipe. I didn't even like fruitcake, and this is the only one I will make or eat. JJ

Stirring Fruitcake Recipe

1 pound of butter

2 cups sugar

6 eggs

4 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice

1 pound of candied cherries, rough chopped (red or green or some of both)

1 pound of candied pineapple, rough chopped

12 oz box of raisins or 2 cups

6 cups of chopped pecans

½ cup orange marmalade

Preheat oven to 350*

In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs. In another BIG bowl add the flour, spices, fruit and nuts. Stir to coat. Add this mixture to the creamed mixture, mix well. Place the batter in the biggest roasting pan you have. My pan was 13x18.5 x 2 inches. Now for the fun part, Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, stir it real good and pack the cooked mixture in a greased tube pan. I used my potato masher to pack the cooked cake mixture in the pan. Let it set on the counter overnight.

*** My Kitchen Aid 4.5 Qt wouldn't hold all the batter, I mixed what I could, then just mixed the rest of the flour, fruit, nuts and orange marmalade by hand with a spoon in the roasting pan. The cake weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. Enjoy!!!

Respected Contributor

Fruit Cheese Danish

2 cans of Crescent Rolls (16 rolls)

Place 1 ½ cans of rolls on a sheet pan.

Beat until smooth and spread over the dough:

8 oz. Cream Cheese

1 egg yolk (save the egg white)

1 cup powdered sugar

1 t. vanilla

Spread 1 can of fruit pie filling over the cream cheese layer. The pie filling can be apple, cherry or blueberry.

Cut the remaining ½ can of crescent rolls into 8 strips. Twist and place on top of the Fruit Danish. Brush dough with egg white.

Bake at 350* until golden brown about 25 minutes.

Glaze - 1/3 cup powdered sugar and enough milk to make a glaze. Drizzle over the top.