Honored Contributor

The French white is stoneware. Pyrex is either borosilicate glass or soda lime glass. Corningware stovetop is pyroceram. They all are different from each other in both the materials used to create them and in the ways they can safely be used. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Hi Jaxs Mom!  Actually, the older French White IS Pyroceram.  The newer, made in China, French White, however, is stoneware.  I highly recommend finding the older stuff.  It's actually easier to find than one might think.  Smiley Happy

It's sad that Pyrex stopped using borosilicate glass with their products.  I find that if I'm careful with handling of the newer stuff, and not putting a hot dish out of the oven on a cold or hard surface you probably have a 99% chance of being ok.  But you never know.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Back to Pyrex

[ Edited ]

I do have the old stuff, but I don't use it on the stove top like I do my corningware brand stovetop pyroceram. I have Emile Henry flameware also. I really don't need to add anything to my stove top collection. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Walmart  has NEW pyrex in with nice handles

Valued Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Pyrex isn't any more nonstick than Temp-tations stoneware is. I have both. I think the Temp-tations looks better and the plastic covers mean I can stack items in the fridge which I can't easily do with pyrex. Both products have a lot of reports of breaking but the Pyrex reports are of glass flying everywhere. By the way the Pyrex brand items manufactured by World Kitchen and sold at shop kitchen world is soda lime glass, not the boroscilicate glass of the old Pyrex. Arc International the European manufacturer of Pyrex does still use borosilicate glass. Soda lime glass doesn't have the same level of thermal stock resistance. 

@jaxs momThanks for this info. I went to the Consumer Report online report (I have a subscription) and there is a 2011 article. Here's part of it:

• The American-made Pyrex and Anchor Hocking bakeware we tested, made from soda lime glass, shattered at lower temperatures in our tough heat tests than European-made pans, which are made of a more expensive glass, borosilicate. U.S. Pyrex and Anchor Hocking glass bakeware used to be made of borosilicate but no longer are.
  • Customer complaints have been regularly challenged by World Kitchen, the current maker of Pyrex in the U.S., in the reports we reviewed. Some consumers say the accidents they report were met with confusing advice about the proper ways to use the product.

I love your avatar. I also have a black kitty (Missy).