Trusted Contributor

So, about 5 years I jumped on the temptations bandwagon.  Got rid of most of my Pyrex (really dumb move) and bought 2 bigger sets of the blue old world pattern.

I have never had any cracks, but I have chipped a couple with the "space saving stackability".  They are fine...nothing super impressive and I've never gotten that true non-stick they keep claiming.

Over the last 6 months I noticed that I'm consistently using the 2 purple Pyrex pieces I kept. And I haven't touched my Temptations.  I guess I'm just tired of that pattern, of it really not being totally non-stick, and having to be too careful to avoid chipping.

So today I got 1, 3 qt. and 2, 4 qt. Pyrex baking dishes/roasters from the Shop Kitchen World site for $29.  The Temptations I have will be going in a cardboard box to sit in the basement until I decide to give away or donate.

I would have saved a ton had I just stuck with my Pyrex and didn't buy into the hype! Just wondering if there are any others how have done the complete 360 like me when it comes to Temptations.

Frequent Contributor

this is the exact reason I didn't make the total 360 transition to Temptations.  I did purchase a small set years ago, but didn't love that they weren't truly nonstick, so I gave them away.  The set came with white, plastic covers and a zippered tote, which i thought were nice, but not enough for me to keep them.  I also found them heavy.  I, too have stayed with Pyrex for my bakeware.

Trusted Contributor

@kzjohnson

A friend bought a ton of Temptations, and it was very nice looking.  I think if you want matching pieces in every imaginable size, it might be more appealing. I

hesitated and found myself pretty satisfied with what I have:  Polish pottery  and Le Creuset baking dishes.  I usually wait for sales on LeCreuset from either Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma.  These pieces last forever, and I think that makes a difference.  I also like different patterns together as long as they are attractive.

I don't think the quality is that great (in Temptations) coming from China.

I asked the question about quality on these forums some months ago, and the response was interesting.  Some people loved it, and others said the quality was poor--better to buy higher quality pieces.

Honored Contributor

Re: Back to Pyrex

[ Edited ]

Pyrex isn't any more nonstick than Temp-tations stoneware is. I have both. I think the Temp-tations looks better and the plastic covers mean I can stack items in the fridge which I can't easily do with pyrex. Both products have a lot of reports of breaking but the Pyrex reports are of glass flying everywhere. By the way the Pyrex brand items manufactured by World Kitchen and sold at shop kitchen world is soda lime glass, not the boroscilicate glass of the old Pyrex. Arc International the European manufacturer of Pyrex does still use borosilicate glass. Soda lime glass doesn't have the same level of thermal stock resistance. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

So agree with what is said here. Received a TempTations set as a gift when it was new to QVC. I also have quite a collection of Corning Ware and Pyrex from when I was first married, and couldn't part with them because there was nothing wrong with them, and it would cost a lot to replace them with TempTations.. I do use the TempTations, but have noticed the crazing of the glaze, which doesn't bother me. So glad that I never got rid of all my Corning Ware and Pyrex, because that is what i go back to using again and again. TempTations is a knock off of the beautiful Polish stoneware that QVC used to sell, and is so much better quality than TempTations....and three time the price! But  you only get what you pay for. I do have some pieces of the Polish stoneware that I also received as gifts. I saved myself a lot of money by not falling under the spell of TempTations.

New Contributor

I am also learning that the Temptations bakeware are not non-stick.    I made banana bread last week using my $4.99 Faberware pan and my Temptations pan.  The one in my Faberware came out flawless.  The Temptations pan had a different taste and most of the bread stuck to the pan.  I still use my Temptations to serve food (makes for a pretty display on the table) but am re thinking baking in them.  Back to Pyrex.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info @jaxs mom.  I did not know about the change in glass.  But  I'm still OK with leaving my Temptations behind. 

Lately busy patterns on anything makes me nuts!  Clean, solid, streamline.  Go rid of patterned bathroom and bedroom linens, no more patterns on my clothes...not even stripes! Crazy I know...

And since reusing the couple of Pyrex pieces I have left I just like cooking/baking in them better.

We'll see how the new pieces stack up against my 20 year old purple pieces.

Honored Contributor

Hey, I have those purple Pyrex also.  I have an 8x8 square and a 9x13.  I've used them a zillion times and never had problems with sticking or problems with the glass.  

I also have some of the older Pyrex which is great!  

I also have some Corning Ware French White and French Black.  These are simply beautiful pieces that will last forever and ever.   BUT, and it's a BIG but, one needs to find the older pieces made in the US of their proprietary material, Pyroceram.   It's easy to still find brand new pieces of the older stuff.  I've purchased some of mine on ebay.  At one point, I dropped and broke one of my original French White pieces.  I was really bummed.  My husband, sensing this, went out and got me a whole new set.

Well, the bummer was that (and he didn't know this, nor did I ever tell him) those were the new 'Made in China Stoneware' version.   I ended up replacing those with all Pyroceram pieces.

This is my idea of beautiful, classy bakeware.  I just don't care for busy designs so that's just my preference.   I also prefer quality and, unfortunately, this Chinese line from QVC is not made well nor is it fired properly.  

Another thing with glassware/ceramics/stoneware is to not take it instantly to temperature extremes.   I have always put mine from room temp or cold into a preheated oven without problems.  But taking them out of the oven don't put them on a cold, hard surface.

I find that silicone trivets are the absolute best!  They aren't hard and they don't cause a temp change that will stress out these materials.  I do this with all of my Pyrex, Corning Ware, and whatever glass-type bakers i use.

Respected Contributor

I never got on the Temptations band wagon.  By the looks of many comments on the forums (not just today), I'm kinda glad I didn't.  I have Corningware, plain white, which I've had for many years.  Lately, though, I've been buying Corningware LIGHT because the others are a little heavy for me.  I don't know what kind of glass they're made from, but I'll use them anyway.  Woman Indifferent

@chickenbutt  I keep seeing your puppy avatar (so adorable) and wondering if that's a Golden Retriever pup???

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Hi Spent!  Yes, that's my golden retriever boy, Ru - when he was a little boy.  He turned 5 in July so now he's a BIG boy.  Smiley Happy  Here he is with one of his favorite toys.  He calls it 'squeaky ball'.  This one still squeaks but that will probably end soon.  hehe

P1110100b.jpg