Esteemed Contributor

How is it to grow, @Rockycoast ?  I've always found broccoli to be finicky in the garden.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

We haven't had a problem with either broccoli or the broccolini growing here in Maine. It is a cold weather plant so we start them in Spring, planted in full sun, water when soil is dry. As with regular broccoli, you need to cut the heads when they are ready. They bolt rather quickly. If you are in a warmer state, try planting them in the Fall when weather is a bit cooler.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

Broccolette or broccolini is the same vegetable that @sunshine45  posted a picture of. 

The entire stem and floret are edible. Much less cooking time than broccoli due to the tenderness of Broccolette.

We cut the end of the stem off, cook and eat.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a greyt vegetable eater, but this sounds like I might like it.

@Flatbush  I think you will love this version of broccoli.  I used to buy it for my mom to try and get her to eat more veggies as it's more tender and easier to eat.  For us, I used to steam it and add a bit of butter but I may try roasting it as it is on sale by me this week, yay!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: BROCCOLETTE ?

[ Edited ]

I've used this recipe from Cook's Country when I've enjoyed broccolette:

1/3 cup water

1/2 tsp salt

1 pound broccolette

2 tbsp olive oil

2 tsp minced garlic

2 tbsp grated Parmesan

Bring water and salt to boil in skillet.  Add broccolette, cover, and steam over medium-low heat until bright green (about 5 minutes).  Remove cover and cook for 30 seconds until water evaporates.

Stir in oil and garlic for 30 seconds.  Sprinkle with Parmesan on serving platter.