Respected Contributor

I have been following the cartel story for some time. (I think It was last summer?) They have targeted the avocado industry for a while. It was my understanding their goal was to get control of Mexico's avocado industry. Growers have been having to pay protection money. There were nine cartels involved.

Recently they threatened a US inspector and the inspection process was shut down. The imports stopped for a few days. The avocados started moving again. I do not know if the Mexican government intervened or what caused the inspection process to resume. I have been distracted and did not know about the trucker problem. Avocados cannot waste time getting from the tree to the table.

I hope the cartels have been contained, and the growers can stop living in fear.

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

What's to be expected? The news has been going on and on about avacado shortages. One reporter even said to go buy lots now. So yep, let's cause a run on avocadoes. And avocadoes are the TP of 2020. I will miss them come summer if things don't improve. but don't eat them now anyway.

@LisaMofSLC    There has been a plentiful supply up until this week.  As soon as shipping resumes, they should be back.  They are hardly a serious shortage item like tp was.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

What's to be expected? The news has been going on and on about avacado shortages. One reporter even said to go buy lots now. So yep, let's cause a run on avocadoes. And avocadoes are the TP of 2020. I will miss them come summer if things don't improve. but don't eat them now anyway.

@LisaMofSLC    There has been a plentiful supply up until this week.  As soon as shipping resumes, they should be back.  They are hardly a serious shortage item like tp was.

@Kachina624  @LisaMofSLC     And....there should be a supply from Florida and California when avocadoes come "in season".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I was doing that too only I just sliced them to freeze--I used them in my morning smoothies---works very well--once upon a time......I was buying them for 50 cents each!!!! back in the olden days, of course!!!

Respected Contributor

The avocado shortage is here, Mexico's president is upset, Chipotle only  has a few weeks supply left, and prices are already skyrocketing | Fortune

Michoacán is the only Mexican state that is authorized to export avocados to the U.S., but the area is also home to drug cartel turf battles, and avocado growers there are sometimes extorted by cartels. 

The pause in imports from Mexico comes on the heels of an already caustic season for the green fruit.

California-grown avocados have been hit hard by low rainfall, shrinking crop sizes. Even before the suspension, avocado prices were 100% more expensive than a year ago, according to Rabo Research Food & Agri. business. 

Consumption of avocados in the U.S. has doubled to an all-time high over the past decade of nine pounds per capita annually, while prices have increased nearly eightfold over the past two decades, according to data from Bloomberg. 

And about eight out of 10 avocados in the U.S. come from Michoacán. That ratio goes up dramatically during the winter months when the vast majority of avocados—about 99%—come from Mexico, the leading producer and exporter of avocados globally. 

In the past six weeks alone, Michoacán avocado producers have exported nearly 300 million pounds of avocados to the U.S., the Mexican Agriculture Ministry said.

In short: The U.S. depends on Mexican avocados...

source: Fortune

Feb.16, 2022 article

Respected Contributor

@On It  I hope the solution was with the Mexican Government to Protect the Avocado pipeline.

Honored Contributor

As to the storage bit:   I've had occasions where I would just need to use half an avocado and what I did was take the other half, WITH the pit in it, and vacuum seal it to store in the refrigerator.

All I recall, as it's been a few years, is that it stayed very good for at least a week or so.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Thank you for the method to keep avocados in the freezer.

Our DILove loves them and I sent it to her.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If any of those methods actually work and don't change the texture then please let me know.  I have tried freezing the whole ones and it just wasn't the same.

Honored Contributor

We haven't had a problem getting them so far.  We buy them every week