Honored Contributor

Re: August 2018 What's Cooking ??

@Danky  You can get a recipe by googling how to cook beans.  It depends on the amount of beans you want to have, I would want enough to freeze, so I am thinking either one regular size bag of each bean, or two of one type of bean, salt pork, have never used this, and maybe add an onion, saw a recipe caling for tomatoes, and herbs could be added.  Maybe we should beg @RedTop for the exact recipe. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Danky  You can get a recipe by googling how to cook beans.  It depends on the amount of beans you want to have, I would want enough to freeze, so I am thinking either one regular size bag of each bean, or two of one type of bean, salt pork, have never used this, and maybe add an onion, saw a recipe caling for tomatoes, and herbs could be added.  Maybe we should beg @RedTop for the exact recipe. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl-------the begging at the altar of @RedTop's kitchen works for me.....I have made beans before but I would really like her "Pawpaw's Proud Of Redtop's Beans" recipe

Respected Contributor

had pizza delivered to house. paid over phone for pizza and maria and anna  was home and i was home before pizza was. your comment about menu i found quit amusing.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate the interest in my beans! In my world everyone cooks beans often, so I never think about a recipe or method.

This last pot was a mix of pinto beans and great northern beans, probably a generous 3 cups of dry beans total, looked, rinsed, and brought to a boil with the piece of salt pork. Sometimes I season beans with a ham bone, ham chunks, or slices of bacon, just whatever I have. Reduce heat to a level where they continue to boil, checking often to be sure they are still covered with water.

By the end of 3-3 1/2 hours, test the beans for doneness and the bean soup for level of saltiness. My pork was not very salty, so I added more salt, and continued cooking another 40 minutes. After the 40 minutes, cornbread went in the oven, and I removed the lid, turned up the heat, added a tablespoon of sugar and let the beans boil pretty hard until the bread was done. We like our beans very soft and our bean soup a little thick, not like brown water.

If you soak beans overnight or even a few hours, your cooking time will be less than the method above. I rarely soak beans, mainly because my decision to cook them is a last minute decision, not decided a day in advance.
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl,
You mentioned adding onion, tomatoes, etc., and I will admit to having cooked beans with an onion before. We are bean people and we are onion people, so that combo is never wrong, and we still added raw onion to the beans on our plate.

I don't think there will ever come a day that I add canned tomatoes, jalapenos or garlic to a pot of beans. My family would think I've lost my marbles and watched too many cooking shows! That's just not how we cook beans here in West Virginia, and all my ancestors, led by my Papaw would likely haunt me for such an act. In my lifetime i have cooked one bag of the 15 bean soup by the recipe on the bag. My family absolutely hated it and said they never wanted to see a bag of those in this house again.

We will eat pinto, October, great northern, navy, or yellow eye beans; well seasoned, with thick soup, but plain.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

no cooking today except for Mac and Cheese for the little girl. Everything else leftovers that either did not need heating or rthey were "nuked". Miserable hot sticky day again and tomorrow even worse.

Respected Contributor

winifred. you must be dying for fall weather to come in. the air thats easy to breath. were in the the middle 90s and very high humidity. we went in the pool today. very refreshing. surprzed it wasnt really warm water, we ate dinner with anna her son and grand children and again sunday but just anna maria and i. she had alot of leftovers. she made pasta sauce meatballs. fresh tomato salad from garden. she made homemade sausage and fryed it with eggs.garden string beans corn on the cob. and dont remember what else. im sure there was more. maria mde homemade french vanilla donuts . some with powdered sugar and some with top diped in chocolate and she made pretzels. she made them all in the new air fryer its well worth the money.today she made tomato salad with pioneer womans cowboy steak recipe. in a sandwich. really good. wednesday were waiting for our new stove to be delivered. i went to bjs wholesale club to pick up a bunch of stuff we needed. had 44 dollars in coupons. hope everyone has a great day eats well and trys to stay cool. good luck everyone

Respected Contributor

Well David came home to go to school. He has been super quiet and very nice - hope it continues. Have a pork roast - boneless - in the slow cooker with baby carrots and a HUGE sweet onion. Will soon put in some ears of con as go withs - they are cut in half so should be able to squeeze them all in there - am NOT in the mood to go out in the heat to cook them on the grill. Sure could boil them on the stove but do not even want to do that. Cannot wait  for some cooler weather but even September is usually very hot. We actually have a cool June leading into July and then the heat goes through the first of October - then Hallowe'en is freezing. Figures does it not?

Kitchen smells good and now that I replaced the cooler it is super cool but just do not want to stand in there for any length of time.

Pooky1 you and Maria always have some really good eating at your house. Wish you lived closer - we would pack up and go and visit with you. LOL

Hope all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Well David came home to go to school. He has been super quiet and very nice - hope it continues. Have a pork roast - boneless - in the slow cooker with baby carrots and a HUGE sweet onion. Will soon put in some ears of con as go withs - they are cut in half so should be able to squeeze them all in there - am NOT in the mood to go out in the heat to cook them on the grill. Sure could boil them on the stove but do not even want to do that. Cannot wait  for some cooler weather but even September is usually very hot. We actually have a cool June leading into July and then the heat goes through the first of October - then Hallowe'en is freezing. Figures does it not?

Kitchen smells good and now that I replaced the cooler it is super cool but just do not want to stand in there for any length of time.

Pooky1 you and Maria always have some really good eating at your house. Wish you lived closer - we would pack up and go and visit with you. LOL

Hope all had a great day.

@Winifred  Did you know that corn on the cob wrapped in damp paper towels can be cooked in the microwave?  I did it last night, about four-five mnutes depending how done you like it, I like it almost raw.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

winifred. you must be dying for fall weather to come in. the air thats easy to breath. were in the the middle 90s and very high humidity. we went in the pool today. very refreshing. surprzed it wasnt really warm water, we ate dinner with anna her son and grand children and again sunday but just anna maria and i. she had alot of leftovers. she made pasta sauce meatballs. fresh tomato salad from garden. she made homemade sausage and fryed it with eggs.garden string beans corn on the cob. and dont remember what else. im sure there was more. maria mde homemade french vanilla donuts . some with powdered sugar and some with top diped in chocolate and she made pretzels. she made them all in the new air fryer its well worth the money.today she made tomato salad with pioneer womans cowboy steak recipe. in a sandwich. really good. wednesday were waiting for our new stove to be delivered. i went to bjs wholesale club to pick up a bunch of stuff we needed. had 44 dollars in coupons. hope everyone has a great day eats well and trys to stay cool. good luck everyone

@Pooky1  Are you referring to Ree's steak with cowboy butter?  I love that butter, I make a batch and keep it in the freezer.

I am impressed about the donuts and pretzels made in the air fryer, will have to look into the pretzels.  I also bought the Blue Jean Chef's two air fryer books.