Trusted Contributor

Re: Aug 22: Plant Milk Day! 🌿🚫🐄

[ Edited ]

@loriqvc wrote:

@trenet wrote:

@Auntie CC wrote:

Sorry ladies you are mistaken. I'm from WISCONSIN so I can assure you liquid from nuts and veg of any kind are not milk. Like...almond juice not almond milk. 
Anything else is an insult to american farmers. Thank you

@Auntie CC 

Also, an insult to language accuracy.   Nut, legume or grain flavoured water might be even more accurate. 

@trenet and @Auntie CC - Actually, the term "milk" has been applied to secretions from plants and similar sources for hundreds of years. The applications have become more broad and more common nowadays, but this is nothing new.

@loriqvc 

Natural secretions from a plant is different than grinding up the plant, or some part of the plant, combining or steeping in water and calling it milk.  (I think it is done mostly for marketing purposes, whether for sales of products or certain types of diets/nutritional claims)

Now you have gotten me curious about the origin of the word milk  

in the secretion sense. Off to the OED! 

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@trenet wrote:

@Auntie CC wrote:

Sorry ladies you are mistaken. I'm from WISCONSIN so I can assure you liquid from nuts and veg of any kind are not milk. Like...almond juice not almond milk. 
Anything else is an insult to american farmers. Thank you

@Auntie CC 

Also, an insult to language accuracy.   Nut, legume or grain flavoured water might be even more accurate. 

@trenet and @Auntie CC - Actually, the term "milk" has been applied to secretions from plants and similar sources for hundreds of years. The applications have become more broad and more common nowadays, but this is nothing new.

@loriqvc @Auntie CC @trenet 

I was a dairy farmer, I would be embracing the plant-based

movement and adjust my operations accordingly....if you don’t,

you’re out of business. Times are a’changin’

82F061DA-281B-4AD9-9C86-25E0812B651F.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Reality:  One would not really be a dairy farmer anymore if manufacturing plant liquids. 

Plant secretions may be referred to as a “milk” and the process of secreting the liquid as “milking”  however, the grinding/puréeing of plant products and mixing them with water to make a drinkable product is different. 

The companies selling these drinks are using the term “milk” for marketing and sales purposes - guess they are part of Big Plant or the Plant-Based Industrial Complex.  

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for posting this!  The cruelty in the dairy industry often surpasses the cruelty in the meat industry.  And after the cruelty, we go into the environmental impact of factory farming.  And then the health ramifications.  Please please educate yourself.  There are THREE cardinal reasons to eat a plant based diet.  If you, for some reason cannot support all  three, pick just ONE, and adopt a plant based diet.  It is easier then you think!  

Honored Contributor

@Emmie1165 wrote:

Thank you for posting this!  The cruelty in the dairy industry often surpasses the cruelty in the meat industry.  And after the cruelty, we go into the environmental impact of factory farming.  And then the health ramifications.  Please please educate yourself.  There are THREE cardinal reasons to eat a plant based diet.  If you, for some reason cannot support all  three, pick just ONE, and adopt a plant based diet.  It is easier then you think!  

@Emmie1165 

💛🌼

I’m so happy the plant movement is gaining traction.

Someone used the term ‘vegetarian’ recently.

Had to pause because we never hear that term anymore

since vegan or plant based has gotten better defined.