Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aug 22: Plant Milk Day! 🌿🚫🐄

I still love regular bovine milk the best, but oat milk is a very close second. (I can't stand any of the soy milks and also strongly dislike nearly all almond milk.) This is the recipe I use; the first step helps to ensure that the final product is silky and flavorful:

Oat Milk

1 C old-fashioned rolled oats
3-4 C water (some for soaking and some for blending)

Place oats in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 30 minutes. Drain oats in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold water.

Pour 3 C fresh water into a blender and add the rinsed oats. Blend at high speed for 1 minute (or around 30 seconds in a high-speed blender like a Vitamix). There will still be some particles in the milk after processing. Do not over-process as the oat milk can become slimy. Strain the milk through a nut milk bag or a fine mesh strainer lined with a couple layers of cheesecloth. Pour the finished milk into glass jars or bottles and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Shake before serving, as the milk has a tendency to separate (which is perfectly normal). Makes 3 cups.

If you want to naturally sweeten the milk, add 1-2 Tbsp agave syrup, pure maple syrup, chopped dates, coconut sugar, cane sugar, or Stevia when blending the oats.

For chocolate oat milk, add 1/4 C Dutch processed cocoa powder when blending.

For strawberry oat milk, add 1/4 C - 1/2 C quartered strawberries when blending. (Note that I haven't tried this one yet but plan to soon!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Funny....they moved to Kitchen💛🌼

Maybe Wellness or even Recipes...I think of ‘Kitchen’ as toasters....

but I guess since we use a Vitamix, it would fall under Kitchen! 

All good, eh?

Honored Contributor

We’ve been using Almond milk for several months and are used to it.

Super Contributor

Sorry ladies you are mistaken. I'm from WISCONSIN so I can assure you liquid from nuts and veg of any kind are not milk. Like...almond juice not almond milk. 
Anything else is an insult to american farmers. Thank you

Respected Contributor

Almond

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I love this!  I am trying it this weekend.  I have everthing but the chia seeds.  I would think the chia seeds not only adds a pinch of flavor, but would make it creamy like milk..  I do drink milk, and never like it.  I used to use soy, but that isnt too good for me, but I do use organic almond or hemp milk for cereal and baking.

do you make your won almond milk??

@shoekitty 

Might want to try without chia...who knows? Maybe it’ll be perfect.

Could always add in the chia & reblend later. 

Almond? I bet @blackhole99 has a good recipe...share?

💛🌼

@sidsmom  My recipe for all the plant milks is 1 cup nuts to 3 cups water in my Vitamix, then I strain it through cheese cloth and add more water if it's too thick. When I make it for my son I add some honey or stevia.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 

So you don’t soak the nuts beforehand?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  No, I find I don't have to with the Vitamix on high for 2 or three minutes. With the oats,I have to be careful or the Vitamix will start to cook the oats. I would have to soak the nuts if I didn't have a Vitamix though.

Trusted Contributor

@Auntie CC wrote:

Sorry ladies you are mistaken. I'm from WISCONSIN so I can assure you liquid from nuts and veg of any kind are not milk. Like...almond juice not almond milk. 

@Auntie CC 

Also, an insult to language accuracy.   Nut, legume or grain flavoured water might be even more accurate. 

Esteemed Contributor

@trenet wrote:

@Auntie CC wrote:

@Auntie CC 

Also, an insult to language accuracy.   Nut, legume or grain flavoured water might be even more accurate. 

@trenet and @Auntie CC - Actually, the term "milk" has been applied to secretions from plants and similar sources for hundreds of years. The applications have become more broad and more common nowadays, but this is nothing new.