Honored Contributor

Re: Anything And GRAVY! An Insanity?

@Sooner wrote:

Gravy.  It is better than chocolate or ice cream or brownies.  There should be a national holiday for gravy.  If I had to choose between roast gravy and fried chicken gravy I would have a breakdown.

Gravy on white wonder bread.  I'm not a mashed potato fan.  Or just gravy on meat.  Or on the plate.  

I hardly ever have it, it is as scarce as a bologna on white bread with good mayo sandwich in our food repetoire, but real gravy. . . oh my it is the stuff of dreams. 

@Sooner Your post made me smile with the memory of gravy ruled by "calorie sins"!  Please come where I am, we have plenty to share and then some!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My husband, no. Me, yes. I love gravy especially with mashed potatoes. When I make a roast chicken, turkey or roast beef, I always make gravy. Alsomeat cooked in the crockpot has gravy. Glad I don’t have to share. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my, I love gravy.   Brown, Cream, Sausage gravy.   But we hardly ever have it because I don't cook things that render the fat needed to make it.  I did buy some Jimmy Dean sage sausage today.   I may make sausage gravy in the morning IF it gives off enough grease .

DH can take it or leave it.  I don't think his mother made much of it. 

Honored Contributor

My husband will put beef gravy on any kind of meat.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in the midwest and we had Gravy A LOT!  Now, I rarely have it and never make it at home.  I do get a half order of biscuits & gravy about every other week from a local coffee shop.  Other than that, I can't even remember tha last time I had any other type of gravy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@jeanlake Gosh!  You named so many things that DH loves!  I grew up in the same state as he.  He was in the center of the state, and I was in the mountains.   I ate quite a bit of vegetables like green beans,  tomatoes,  and creamed corn.  We had a "country cook" who used some salted pork. 

I Never saw "fat back" until I visited the woman in the next apartment. 

@ECBG , I thought salted pork and fat back were the same.  What's the diff?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@jeanlake Gosh!  You named so many things that DH loves!  I grew up in the same state as he.  He was in the center of the state, and I was in the mountains.   I ate quite a bit of vegetables like green beans,  tomatoes,  and creamed corn.  We had a "country cook" who used some salted pork. 

@ECBG , I thought salted pork and fat back were the same.  That's the diff?

@vabreeze Fat back is all fat plus the rind. Salted pork has some meat. It is also cured.

Respected Contributor

for the most part we can take it or leave it. DH and I both like an occasional biscuit & gravy meal in cold weather. So hearty & filling then.The thought of it in summer is rarely appealing.  My husband can usually take gravy or leave it.  I occasionally like a 'beef manhatten ' meal that a cafeteria in our area offers. 

I have never been a master gravy cook any way so this may be why we do not consume much. I have never found any canned ones at all worth it . Really good homemade gravy can be very tasty.

I find my felines (both girls) love it in the canned foods ! Some brands add and highlight extra gravy on the can . Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes, my husband and son love gravy and will put it over anything. At Thanksgiving I could just serve stuffing and gravy and they wouldn't ask where the turkey was.LOL

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG , I thought salted pork and fat back were the same.  That's the diff?

@vabreeze Sometimes fat back is also called "streaked meat".  Saltedpork is a slab of pork fat which has been salted.