Honored Contributor

Anyone else tempted by the Spurtle set TSV tomorrow?

I am setting up a new kitchen and just bought a stainless steel cookware set so it's somewhat appealing since I know I need non-scratch utensils but I have no idea what I would use all of them for.  Even after watching their video. 

For those of you that have the silicone spurtles, are they really useful to you in the kitchen to prep and cook or just an occasional grab here and there? 

Most of what they showed, I'm good with and would actually prefer a knife but for cooking I'm thinking maybe I would use a couple of them.  Of course, I've been good all my life with a regular spatula.

What say all of you?  Have you replaced any of your kitchen utensils with these?    

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else tempted by the Spurtle set TSV tomorrow?

@Laura14  I only have two wooden spurtles (a longer and a shorter one).  Since I had them, I haven't used anything else.  They are wonderful.  If they have a good price, perhaps I will order the silicone ones too.

You can't go wrong with the spurtles.  I am sure someone with the silicone ones will respond to you.

Honored Contributor

I am interested in the spurtle set since I only have non stick cookware. I didn’t get the email or deleted it so I will wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @CLEM!  Since I'm redoing, I figured if they are a good substitute, I may as well update.  I appreciate the recommendation.  

Trusted Contributor

No thanks, don't care for them at all!!

Esteemed Contributor

Wasn't attracted to them - then bought the set - hated and gave 3 to charity and the small one (kept) sit in the drawer.  Thought good for mayo jars - nope - no flexibility to it.  Stiff like stick.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Wasn't attracted to them - then bought the set - hated and gave 3 to charity and the small one (kept) sit in the drawer.  Thought good for mayo jars - nope - no flexibility to it.  Stiff like stick.

Thank you @fthunt.  If that's true, then they probably won't work for me.  I was hoping the silicone for some of them would have some give.  

Super Contributor

I have the spurtles in wood and silicone.  I use them interchangeably.  The more I use the spurtles, the more I want to use them.  The nice thing about the silicone ones is they don't get warm and I am more likely to leave them in a pot for a few seconds, and I can put them in the dishwasher.

I find they are easier to scrape off than a wooden spoon.  They are great for stirring and folding in ingredients.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have Spurtles of every size and shape in both wood and silicone.  The silicone are the BEST!

Quite honestly, some my wooden ones started splitting within the one year warranty period.  I was unable to get them replaced.  You were supposed to email the pics as per the card included with purchase (which, by the way, say they were a Martha Stewart product.)  All I received was repeated emails stating that 'Only certain dish patterns were included in the warranty'  HUH?????  Q was unable to help.

Anyways...I love the design of Spurtles so much, I repurchased the silicone ones.  No wood splitting here!

They are by far my most used utensils in my kitchen.

I didn't see the advanced notice of TSV, but I will probably be buying them anyways!

Edited to add:

NO, they do not have 'give'.  They are not meant to be a replacement for spatulas, IMHO.

They are meant to replace wooden spoons.  Spurtles have a much wider scraping area due to their shape.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have non-stick but I do have several silicone items.  Just love them.  They scrape the sides of a pan like magic.