Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Have Cooking Disasters?

We call the smoke detectors the oven timer in my house!

Respected Contributor

@kare29  Aren't they a nuisance?  But we need the smoke and carbon monoxide protectors for our safety.  Would never risk disengaging them.  I keep a box of salt and a small fire extinguisher handy in my kitchen, always have, just in case.

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up, I was in 4-H for a few years.  I took Cooking or Baking as one of my projects.  I practiced making a couple of batches of cookies before I made them to turn in to be judged.  When we tasted the first practice batch, we (really, my mom) discovered that I had used salt rather than sugar.  To this day, I hate baking and don't really like cookies (although that experience really has nothing to do with it).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

My biggest disaster was trying to make flan for my DH.  His mother and grandmother were wonderful cooks (without recipes) and I figured how hard could it be following a recipe?  The custard came out fine.

Well, I had never carmelized sugar before.  I used every pot and pan in the kitchen and STILL didn't get it right!  Actually threw out one pan because I'd need a jackhammer to get it off.

To add insult to injury, DH came home and got it out the first time...

Denise
Honored Contributor

Those are some special grandchildren you have to eat the meal you prepared.  I hope they have a wonderful Christmas, hint/hint.

Seriously, this is such a sweet story.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."