Honored Contributor

Re: Any one have a counter top ice cube maker?

I have been thinking about getting one for my brothers home bar---but didn't realize it didn't store the ice---something I haven't heard from the vendors on TV---makes prefect sense tho---once you think about it. he prob would use it when he had a party --make the ice and put it in an ice bucket----still may get him one---

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

Ice maker for freezer replaced in August and causing problems. Too expensive to replace again. Not enough space in freezer for ice cube trays. We don't use a lot of ice every day. So many brands available . Appreciate any information or suggestions from anyone that has tried this. Thank you.

@SouthernBee 

If we unplug our freezer/fridge every so many months, the icemaker works fine but if it freezes up, it quits.  My problem is that somehow or other, the "bug man" put one of those strips that catches bug (sticky things) on the floor by the fridge and it got lodged up under there and it won't roll any longer.  I can't move it to unplug it.  I have to pay somebody $100 every time he comes to unplug it.  I am tired of paying a man to unplug my refrigerator which takes 10 seconds that amount of money.  So, I too, an interested in a counter-top icemaker.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SouthernBee    Are you aware that the countertop ice makers only make ice but don't keep it?  When I learned that I immediately lost interest in them.  I don't want to devote freezer space to storing big quantities of ice.

@Kachina624 

Can you make it and dump it in your already ice bin that came with your freezer-fridge?  Or will it not dump out?

Super Contributor

I have an Igloo that is in constant heavy use. We use ice many times per day and our refrigerator ice maker couldn't kerp up. This was meant as a supplement but we actually prefer the smaller ice cubes from the tabletop machine.  Have had the machine a couple of years. It stopped working at one point until I ran vinegar thru it but no other problems.  I'm actually surprised it has lasted this long considering how heavily it's used.  

Honored Contributor

No. I don't even have an ice maker in my freezer. We have always bought our refrigerators without one. I fill up 4 ice cube trays from filtered reverse osmosis water. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

No. I don't even have an ice maker in my freezer. We have always bought our refrigerators without one. I fill up 4 ice cube trays from filtered reverse osmosis water. 

@Nightowlz : Sideby side issues since October. Last night service call verified bad computer board and new part $460 plus $340 for service call to install. Only 6 years old.Plus was made in Mexico. Today on line looking for refrigerator with freezer on top and no ice maker. Nothing available locally to look at. Must order in the store or on line. Frustrating and almost physically sick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz : Sideby side issues since October. Last night service call verified bad computer board and new part $460 plus $340 for service call to install. Only 6 years old.Plus was made in Mexico. Today on line looking for refrigerator with freezer on top and no ice maker. Nothing available locally to look at. Must order in the store or on line. Frustrating and almost physically sick.

@SouthernBee 

I forgot the GE refrigerator we bought last year does have an ice maker plus a water filter inside the refrigerator. We don't use either. No filter in the water dispenser in the fridge. The ice maker is not hooked up. After reading reviews with all the problems people have we decided not to hook it up to our reverse osmosis system. We didn't have a choice on ice maker or not last year. I don't even know if they give that option now. My other refrigerator is 21-22 yrs old. The fridge is on top with freezer drawer on bottom. It took 6 months to get it after it was finally available to order. 

Hope you find what you are looking for that has what you want. The prices are ridiculous. That's a lot of money for a repair.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz : The fridge was a GE and my first side by side that I really loved but not really quiet. Problems caused it to be really loud and constantly running. We will not purchase another GE . But reading reviews all day yesterday it is documented that every brand available has issues with freezer and frost accumulation or irritating sounds from constantly running and it's a gamble. Told DH we need to just order something but get information on return policy . DH didn't understand why the refrigerators are not plugged in on display so you can see and hear them. I am really struggling trying to decide what to purchase. Currently Lowes has a good sale but still looking at a $1000 purchase and nothing available to look at in the store. Every store that I called yesterday state the refrigerator with freezer on top and no ice maker is not on display and has to be ordered because it is not a regular purchase. I have back problems and the freezer on bottom not a good choice for me. They stated that what I want is normally purchased to put in a garage for extra beverage storage.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee 

We bought the GE because it's what my SIL bought. She said she had an LG which had a compressor recall on it that went out. We were going to buy an LG until she told us what happened so we went with the GE like she bought. It's not noisy. So far so good. I think it's because we didn't hook up the ice maker or water filter inside the refrigerator? That what it seems from all the reviews I read. We put the old Whirlpool in the dining room since we didn't want to be without a refrigerator. I'm going to buy a garage ready refrigerator when it stops working. 

It is a gamble IMO. You either get a good one or you don't. If it doesn't work you have to wait on parts for repairs?

They only have a few refrigerators plugged in at our Lowe's. One of them had employees lunches in them?

If I had ordered ours without the ice maker instead of paying for it who knows how long I would have waited for it. 

Wonder if the refrigerator you are looking for is what they call garage ready? You cannot put all refrigerators in the garage. My dad did that with one that he said buckled. That's why we put our old Whirlpool in the dining room.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I read reviews until I was blue in the face. There are way too many negative reviews.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz : Totally agree and understand. DH prefers Home Depot but on line what was available had to wait. We went to Lowe's early Wednesday morning  . I was shocked because all the appliances were plugged in. I had thought originally that I wanted an LG but like you indicated our repair guy said said please no. They were not busy and our salesman was very understanding and helpful. I looked at the LG and it was made in Mexico and the doors and interior shelves looked thin and not sturdy. Same issues with the Fridigare. Looked at Whirlpool and  verified USA. Plus on sale with a $350 savings . It was quite compared to the other two and available for delivery on Thursday. I still purchased the 5 year extended warranty. I needed the black and none available to look at in the store. But it was the garage ready.

The delivery people were not Lowe's employees and had a budget rental truck . Not the best delivery people. They were trying to leave before I had time to look at everything. When they plugged the fridge in - loud compared to the one in the store and hoping this had to do with the moving and everything. Plus I found two scratches. They called their boss and he called me stated Lowe's would be calling to offer discount. They did and I tried to take photos with my old cell phone and not good. I explained that the delivery people took photos. They offered 10 % discount to be applied to my Lowe's charge card with photos and verified if still not satisfied can return fridge in 30 days. The delivery people lied about cutting the water off when they disconnected the old water line and just taped it to the back of the new fridge. DH is disabled and not able to do stuff.So had a big mess when I turned the water on. Thankfully we are good friends with our plumber . He came immediately during a thunderstorm and only charged $50 to pull the old water line and replace a part since he didn't have what was needed to cap the part off. I was physically  and mentally worn out Thursday afternoon and with the bad weather didn't clean the fridge. I was surprised to discover on Friday morning that the black color wasn't high gloss shiny and had some texture to it. We noticed it isn't really loud and not running constantly like the old one. We can't hear it in the den next to the kitchen like the old one. When it cycles on it is for about 20 minutes and quiet for about two hours before starting again. It took all day Friday to get it cleaned and two different grocery orders to get the fridge and freezer partially filled. The vegetable bins are smaller than what I had but really love the storage space on the door that includes a butter compartment, space for a dozen eggs and gallon of milk. Since cleaning the outside the scratches are not that noticeable but I can see them. I sore throat returned Friday night and not feeling great and still need to check my Lowe's information on line. Sorry this is so long but I hope that our experiences can help someone else .Screenshot_20230111-184527_kindlephoto-17583283.pngScreenshot_20230111-184709_kindlephoto-17682351.pngScreenshot_20230111-184833_kindlephoto-17769649.png