Respected Contributor

Re: Any Luck Tenderizing Pork Chops?

@VirgoGirl wrote:

@YardlieI couldn't agree more. No matter what I do with pork chops they are always dry or leatherlike. Have not enjoyed eating them for about a year now.

@VirgoGirl ... I know what you are saying! I think the meat industry is overdoing "lean meat."

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I cook boneless chops in BBQ sauce for 3 hours plus on low heat - they're so tender they fall apart.  For stuffing,  braising or breading I buy the bone-in chops.  Big difference.  

@FranandZoe ... Mmmmm....sounds delicious! I'll have to give that a try.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I only buy pork tenderloins anymore. Family won't eat leftover pork as it always has a funky taste to it. The tenderloins are easy to cook and taste good the next day. Very tender too. I have been sprinkling a spice/herb mixture on them after I pour a little vinegar over top then the spices/herbs and then a little olive oil over all that. Kind of like a de- constructed marinade. I let it go all day then brown it and put it in the oven to roast.

Respected Contributor

Yardlie, I've had very good luck putting pork chops in buttermilk in the fridge overnight, then breading them and baking them on a textured silicone baking sheet in the oven.  The buttermilk tenderizes and also moisturizes.  I use almond flour with a little cinnamon and nutmeg, since pork is a "sweet" meat, and they are delicious, moist, tender, and have no carbs, important in a diabetic diet.

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Yardlie, I've had very good luck putting pork chops in buttermilk in the fridge overnight, then breading them and baking them on a textured silicone baking sheet in the oven.  The buttermilk tenderizes and also moisturizes.  I use almond flour with a little cinnamon and nutmeg, since pork is a "sweet" meat, and they are delicious, moist, tender, and have no carbs, important in a diabetic diet.

Sounds delicious! I've got to give them a try.

Regular Contributor

@Yardlie

In a word......THIS:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-maple-brined-pork-chops-106239

It is delicious! We are actually grilling some center cuts that were brined in this, today. It is my go-to brine for pork or chicken! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I only buy pork tenderloins anymore. Family won't eat leftover pork as it always has a funky taste to it. The tenderloins are easy to cook and taste good the next day. Very tender too. I have been sprinkling a spice/herb mixture on them after I pour a little vinegar over top then the spices/herbs and then a little olive oil over all that. Kind of like a de- constructed marinade. I let it go all day then brown it and put it in the oven to roast.

I agree about pork tenderloins. I buy Smithfield pork tenderloins at Walmart.already seasoned. You just pop them in the oven for 30+ minutes. So delicious! I've got a garlic/black peppercorn one thawing right now. We'll be having it for dinner tonight. I've never seasoned my own like you do, but I might just give that a try. It would be fun to choose my own seasonings. Thanks for the idea.

Respected Contributor

@Wannabeincali wrote:

@Yardlie

In a word......THIS:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-maple-brined-pork-chops-106239

It is delicious! We are actually grilling some center cuts that were brined in this, today. It is my go-to brine for pork or chicken! Smiley Happy

Oooh, does that sound good! I just added that recipe to my favorites file...will be giving that a try soon!

Respected Contributor

Sprinkle a little baking soda on both sides, let sit for 1/2 and hour or so.  Then rinse it off.  Unbelievably tender.  I use it on chicken too.

Trusted Contributor

I gave up trying to make pork chops that are tender.  Instead I have been buying Hormel Pork Loin Filet.  They are 24 oz. in a hermetically sealed plastic pkg.  They are as tender as tenderloin but bigger in diameter (2-3 inches).  I put a dry rub on them and pressure cook for 15-17 minutes.  I've also put a dry rub on them, sear them in my Ninja 4 in 1, brush a sauce on them and steam roast for about 25-30 min. @375 degrees.  Delicious and tender.