Honored Contributor

I've never had them this time of year, but I do - for the past two days they are all over the kitchen counter by the sink. I've scrubbed and there is no food around. Any ideas about how to get rid of them? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Occasional Contributor

I've been having problems with ants too, which is unusual for this time of year. I read recently that bay leaves discourage them, which I'm going to try if they show up again. Luckily, I've had a few ant free days. Since there are pets, I am not wanting to try anything too drastic.

Occasional Visitor

Terro!!!!!!

Liquid Ant Killer

Best Used For:

Attracting and killing all common household ants including Argentine ants, ghost ants, cornfield ants, pavement ants, acrobat ants, white footed ants, little black ants, odorous house ants and other sweet eating ants. Designed for use in and around your home, this highly effective ant bait kills the ants you see, plus the thousands you don't see!

1 oz bottle
$3.29
Trusted Contributor

Orange cleaners help and electronic bug repellers (not to be used with ferrets, hampsters, gerbils).

Trusted Contributor

Terro does work well. They feed on it and take it back to the nest.

Respected Contributor

Another vote here for Terro.

Respected Contributor

3 years ago I had this problem in late fall and I was told to put tiny bottles(like a pill bottle) and put a cotton ball in them than put 100% pure pine oil. I got this at a GNC and boy did it work. My whole house smelled like a fresh cut Christmas tree. You just get the bottle of 100% pure pine oil and put a little in a tiny empty pill bottle or something about that size.

Keep out of reach of pets and kids I would guess. I do have 3 dogs but they can't get where I put this.

I keep staples in the basement, canned goods and dry packaged noodles. I went down for egg noodles and found an empty bag. I picked it up and looked and thought what the heck is this, did I get an empty bag? I looked on the table and saw a box of pasta almost empty as well as another bag of noodles. I talked to my neighbor and she said mice, had this problem and this was what she was told to do so, I did the same and no more problems.

I also had to put a tiny pill bottle on either side of my stove since they were coming up the gas pipe that way into the kitchen, this also stopped this. I do this every fall now since I was told they like to come in when the weather starts to turn cold but, works anytime of course.

edited to say, sorry I wasn't thinking, this is for mice

Trusted Contributor

Terro ant traps are the best!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I would get the traps also, but walk around your house and find the trail and try and stop them at that point also.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor
Get ant traps/ houses ,6 in a box and put them in spots, corners in kitchen. I put a couple under furniture in spring time,so my kitty won't get into them. Works very well and inexpensive, buy in supermarkets/ hardware stores.