Respected Contributor

America's Test Kitchen Cookbook

This cookbook should be "A Must Have" in every bakers nook.  Based on the TV Shows.

Every year they come out with one and update it so it's about 3-4" thick and so far, every recipe I have made turned out spectacular.

The chocolate chip cookies are the best, huge oatmeal cookies are quite good and yesterday I made the German Chocolate Cake.

I like they give a paragraph or so why this recipe works.  For example the standard German Chocolate cake has the cake too sweet so you are getting sweet cake and sweet filling.  This cake has a slightly darker chocolate taste that offsets the filling.

Love the book...usually available to order in December for the new edition.

Honored Contributor

Re: America's Test Kitchen Cookbook

[ Edited ]

One Christmas I bought several copies of the cookbook and gave them out as presents. And kept one copy for myself.  I remember making one recipe.

Never saw the cookbook again. 

I am so tempted to buy another cookbook.

Trusted Contributor

I watch the show every week along with Cooks Country, but I hate the cookbooks. There are usually too many steps and too much trouble. I want fast, easy and only a few ingredients. If you are like me, you won't like their cookbooks.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling , We have one from America's Test Kitchen and also Cooks Illustrated.  I tend to buy the America's Test Kitchen magazines when I can find the .

My view is if I can find a favourite recipe, that is a good investment.

@geegerbee , you don't buy these cookbooks for simple instructions do you?  LM

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling 

they are my fav cooking show

i love all the whys on doing certain steps and it all makes sense and i rely heavily on their taste choice and equip testing

i own the book from seasons ago

some of my go to recipes in the winter

beef stew

shepard's pie

baking

crispy oatmeal cookies - they are thin and taste butterscotchy

pate sucre - i use this crust for many of my tarts - so easy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish I could say that I love their recipes, because I enjoy watching their shows when I get the chance. In my experience, the recipes are overly complicated, timeconsuming and too fussy for everyday.

I do like their product recommendations, and I get some good hints about "how food works" from the shows.   

I have another pet peeve with America's Test Kitchen - how they zealously protect their recipes. They can do that if they want, but it's a turnoff for me. Especially since we donate to PBS, and they're being paid for those shows. It should be super simple to get those recipes; you shouldn't have to give them your email address, which they will use to pepper you with ads.

I'm glad others are enjoying their recipes, though!

Respected Contributor

If you have the book, make the chocolate chip cookie recipe, you start with rmelted butter room temp and just add the ingrediants one by one in the bowl, it's the fastest cookie I have ever made.

I scoop them, break in half like they say and put together, makes 18 cookies, tastes better than any other bakery cookie I have ever had.

Respected Contributor

check them out of the library.

Honored Contributor

I own this cookbook and use it often.  Have also bought the monthly magazine.  I tear out and save the recipes that look like something I'd like to make. 

Honored Contributor

It's my favorite book, I just wish they wouldn't re-do the whole, entire book every year.  

I think the one I have now goes to Season 19 and the only reason I have that one is because there was a special offer for it and it was really cheap, like half the suggested price.