Frequent Contributor

I love Aldi! To me, it's like a treasure hunt. You never know what you're going to find. I've bought bare-root plants, silicone kitchen utensils, and Sistema plastic microwaveable containers there, all high quality.

I look for organic and imported products.

I love their vanilla brioche, imported from France. I buy most of my cheese and canned organic veggies like tomatoes and refried beans there; also organic chicken, beef, and veggie broths. Some of their produce is from local suppliers. I buy their organic cherry tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms, and specialty lettuces. Their grass-fed organic ground beef is cheaper there than anywhere else I shop. A lot of their pasta is imported from Italy. They have the best price on POM pomegranate juice in my area -- when they have it in stock.

I have a store less than a mile from my house and 2 others fairly close by. They are all very clean and well organized with friendly cashiers.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Irish, wow, you are a true Aldi's shopper!

I'm still learning my way around the store.  My regular items are the little chicken and half and half.  The nonfood item I bought was was a surge protector that didn't fit my outlet, so I had to return it.  I bought a succulent garden plant over the weekend.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Frequent Contributor

Hi, Honny! I didn't become a fan overnight. One of my dear friends kept after me to try it because she shopped there and really liked it. She's a confirmed bargain hunter whereas I am not nearly as skilled in that regard as she. It took me awhile, but the more I tried it, the more I liked it. You may find the same thing happening to you!

Esteemed Contributor

Irish, a few months ago, I went to Aldi's for the first time.  It was an awful experience.  The freezers were frosty, pallets of materials blocked the aisles, it was crowded...it was so bad, that I left my cart in the store and went to Safeway.

I started a post here saying how disappointed I was with the store and called it "low rent."  That sparked a lot of responses from fans and people who felt like me.

I stopped in the one that I go to now to pick up some k-cups.  I've been going every week since then; not because I need anything, but because I like the store and what I find!

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Honey, I have a memory foam queen size mattress and it is astonishing how small they compact those things!  I actually slightly pulled a back muscle shoving it up the stairs as the weight was contained in such a small and dense area.

The box will be proportionally small and it's kind of fun to watch it g-r-o-w!

I just pulled the ad out of the recycling, that actually looks like a pretty nice one and the price is excellent.  I have purchased many of Aldi's home and appliance items and have always been more than pleased.

I saw a memory foam mattress at BJ's for $500.  The one at Aldi's is $240.

We had the kale veggie burgers toppe with bacon last night.  It still wasn't filling.  I'll just use the rest of them as a snack.

Honored Contributor

I paid $250 for mine but it was a manufacturer closeout and also (in my opinion) needed to add a foam topper from Costco.  Mine is already older (I would love to upgrade to some of the newer technologies) but for me they are the best way to sleep without waking up with something bugging me.

I haven't made it to Aldi's but hope to get there tomorrow.  I really want to try those potstickers and check out their dipping sauces and thank you so much for the reminder as those kale patties have been added to the list!

Esteemed Contributor

mtc, if you get the kale veggie burgers, keep in mind that they break apart very easily.

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby was gassing up my car at BJ's and he said he wanted to go inside for a case of Vitamin Water.  I told him to check the Aldi's brand, so we went.

He had a field day!  Mind you, he's been to the store before.  He had his list in his head, found everything and was very impressed with the price at check out. 

I got my lunch items (fresh meats including my little chicken, frozen veggies and fresh fruit) for the week, and he was impressed by that as well.  I also got rugs for the bathroom for $10.  And they are good quality!

I am at Aldi's every week now.  Hubby actually liked that shopping trip; that's a first for him!

Trusted Contributor

Went to one for the first time today.  Not impressed but did buy 2 of the dark chocolate bars (M.R.) recommended by several.  Both hubby and I thought it was very good 70% chocolate.  They had a good buy on some organic frozen strawberries and blueberries I would get when I run out of the stock in my freezer now.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to shop at Aldis all the time when I was a young and broke single mom. It really helped stretch my food budget and I really loved a lot of their foods.

Then we moved to a different state, my financial situation improved greatly and we didn't have one near us so I kind of forgot about them.

They opened up a couple in my area but I still didn't go because I liked shopping at my Fresh Market, Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and my local CSA. I also get my chicken, eggs, pork and beef from local farmers who are very humane and while they are more expensive, I just like the quality.

Well my daughter started shopping at Aldis about a year ago and I had forgotten how much I liked them and they are even better now with lots more products than they had in the 90's when I shopped there before I moved. Their chocolate, cookies, cheeses are all excellent. They have wonderful feta, goat cheese, brie, fontina, etc.. for great prices. A lot of their fruits are organic and just really good in quality. Even compared to our CSA  which I consider some of the best fruits and veggies I have gotten. I am not a wine drinker but my daughter is and she loves their wines.Around the holidays they have the best cookies and chocolates, most of them are from Belgium, Austria, France, etc.. They have great dried pastas, all imported from Italy. They also have some great beer selections from European countries. I love their lentils, beans, quinoa, etc.. There are two Aldis in my area and I do prefer one over the other because it is just a bit cleaner with slightly different with better selections (for my family anyway) of things we like.

I remember when I first started going ot Aldis, it was where the lower income people shopped (like me) but that is definitely not the case now. I see a huge variety of people there and most of them are middle to upper class. I think Aldis is great for any income level who want really good quality and good prices. Whi my daughter doesn't shop there exclusively because she can't get quite everything she needs there, I would say she gets about 60-70% of her groceries there. She and her husband do all of their spending on a computer program to keep a tally and budget of all of their finances and since she has been shopping there she says that she has reduced her food budget by 25-30%. She feels she hasn't given up ANY quality at all either and as a matter of fact, she feels it is just as good if not better than where she was shopping before. I don't shop at Walmart at all for food or anything else but she does and she did a lot of her food shopping there and she feels the quality is MUCH better than Walmart.

They pay their employees and good wage too. I am glad I found them again. I recommend them to many people and will continue to do so.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK