Honored Contributor

Advice please on best way to store these.

I love dried blueberries in my morning oatmeal. I also use them for baking scones and other things.  In general, they are very expensive and lately I haven't been able to find them at all.  So I ordered this huge bag from Amazon.  It was $26 and it's a heck of a lot of blueberries.  I know it will take me a long time to use them all and I don't want to see them get stale or moldy.  I'd love advice on the best way to store them once I open the package.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 6.32.26 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice please on best way to store these.

@house_cat wrote:

I love dried blueberries in my morning oatmeal. I also use them for baking scones and other things.  In general, they are very expensive and lately I haven't been able to find them at all.  So I ordered this huge bag from Amazon.  It was $26 and it's a heck of a lot of blueberries.  I know it will take me a long time to use them all and I don't want to see them get stale or moldy.  I'd love advice on the best way to store them once I open the package.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 6.32.26 AM.png

I buy dried cherries in large pkgs.

After opening them I reeal them in original bag and keep them in the refrigerator drawer.

I take out what I want and leave on the counter till they get to room temperature..I don't like them really cold.

I have a partial bag that is about a yr. old and it's past "use my date"..They are fine.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat I wonder how you like them?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat I do the same for DH.  I buy him large bags of certain dried fuits as he eats them often.  What I do is even if it's a "resealable" bag I also put that bag in a large ziploc for extra protection and refrigerate.  They last quite awhile and stay fresh.

Respected Contributor

I buy dried cherries from Amazon in a huge quantity. I divide them into 2-cup packs, shrink wrap them in quart-sized Food Saver bags and freeze them until I need them. When I defrost a package, I transfer the cherries to a Lock & Lock container and keep it in the pantry so it's handy when I need them.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy Craisins to put on salads and will store them in the freezer if I don't think I'll be needing them for awhile.  They come in a bag with a zip lock seal but I then throw that bag in an actual Zip-Lock Bag and put them in the freezer.  If I need them after they're frozen, I open the bag(s) and throw some on my salad.  They're pretty much thawed out by the time I'm ready to eat the salad.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

If the seal on the original bag seems airtight, I put them in the refrigerator after opening.  Or else in an "air tight" container in the refrigerator.  They do keep well.

Honored Contributor

I would freeze them.   Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Wow the below article says can be stored for 6 months to a year in air tight container and in a dark cool place, room temp.  Who would have thought?

https://dryingallfoods.com/storing-dried-blueberries/

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I don't buy fruit like this, but I keep walnuts and pecans in the freezer.