Contributor

? About Pot Roast In Crock-Pot

Do you have to brown the meat before you put it in the crock-pot? Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: ? About Pot Roast In Crock-Pot

I sear my meat before putting it in the crock pot. It gives it a better taste and color.

Esteemed Contributor

I never brown the meat first. I use a cooking bag (in the crockpot), sprinkle w/ dry Lipton onion soup, add whatever veggies I want, and cook long and slow. Our family considers pot roast perfect when you can break it apart w/ a fork. It's brown and delicious every time.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

If I have time I will sear the roast before putting in the crock pot. I've just put the seasoned meat and veggies in the crock without searing and it comes out good too.

Respected Contributor

I don't. Comes out yummy every time. You CAN NOT mess up a pot roast, unless maybe if you don't let it cook long enough.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

I never brown mine either and it is tender as can be!
Super Contributor

I do not sear the meat either.

It comes out wonderfully every time.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

i always sear and season the meat before making a pot roast. it looks and tastes so much better. i then deglaze the pan with some water, wine, stock, or even beer to give it some extra flavor and add it to the pot.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I always brown mine first, mainly for the color. I prefer my potroast in my original Nesco to the crockpot though.

Respected Contributor

On 5/25/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

I don't. Comes out yummy every time. You CAN NOT mess up a pot roast, unless maybe if you don't let it cook long enough.

I agree with this.